6th Annual after ThanksGiving Turkey Fry & CleanUp 11/29/08 Sponsored IPB ScubaQuest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just realized I can actually attend this event :) I have been trying to make it out to a scubaboard get together for some time now. So count me in. Though I have no idea what to bring suggestions are welcome :)

You are being added to the list. Would you mind if a gave you a suggestion down the road? I figure I'll have a look right before the event and see what is needed. :)

Brennan and I will be there, don't know if Jenn and Britt can make it due to other issues, unless they come up later. I will bring whatever I can and my cooler so I can store the drinks for everyone. will find out about food closer to the event.

See ya'll there..

BTW Dennis I have your spikes still in my truck so I'll have them for you when I see you....

MissD, please do the same for me. Something I can bring in the Miata, it's not real big. :wink: I'm thinking, maybe chips and salsa and guacamole?

Brennan and I will be there, don't know if Jenn and Britt can make it due to other issues, unless they come up later. I will bring whatever I can and my cooler so I can store the drinks for everyone. will find out about food closer to the event.

See ya'll there..

BTW Dennis I have your spikes still in my truck so I'll have them for you when I see you....

MissD, please do the same for me. Something I can bring in the Miata, it's not real big. :wink: I'm thinking, maybe chips and salsa and guacamole?

Done :)

Well hello peeps it is good to see that we are still having turkey day in venice. Who here remembers the first one we put together? Man I think I still feel the sand smacking me in the face. I hope the wind and sand storms have calmed down. I will try and make it this year. I hope everyone is doing well and being safe.

Hi all, checking in with turkey info...

As far as I can tell.. there looks like about 40 attendees... so far. Figuring 3/4 lb raw bird per person means at least 2 15lb birds, maybe 3 if they are smaller. More if the crowd grows. I have secured 2 fryers and need to pm truck1 about his for a third.

Guidelines for turkeys to be fried... (VERY IMPORTANT)

1. DO NOT BUY BUTTERBALL turkeys... they are injected with alot of water... not good for frying. Buy cheap "young" turkeys. It's ok... they fry the best. I saw 79 cents/lb today for Publix generic birds. Those ALDI birds are OK... just try to buy the bigger ones.

2. 13-15lb size is best. This weight is the size that will max out the fryer's capacity... therefore most "bang" for the buck (and cooking time).

3. The birds must be thouroughly defrosted... no exceptions. Please make sure the giblits are removed and the cavern is completely thawed. This is the number 1 reason for splatter, burns, and fires.

4. Anyone else that wants to donate oil (or to the oil fund) (Cottenseed only), please pm me. BassPro has 3gal jugs on sale for about $20. Each fryer uses 3-4 gallons. I will be running 2, maybe 3 fryers. I have 2 fresh jugs of oil, a couple more jugs would be appreciated.

5. The oil will preheat for almost an hour to reach the right temp. The birds cook 3.5 min/lb. 15 lb bird cooks in about 55 minutes. Please make sure the birds arrive in time to cook properly.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:
Also,

Since most people like potatoes, and hot mashed potatoes are difficult to make the trip with... how about fresh cut french fries.

The friers will be hot and the birds will need a couple minutes to cool before carving... how about some fresh cut french fries to go with the meal?

If someone brings a bag of regular Idaho potatoes, I have a fry slicer. They only take a couple of minutes.

MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

EKremer & FossilBabe, based on divedivedivecfl post (137), how about donating $12 each to be given to him for oil? :) Actually DebbyDiver do you want to do that as well instead of chips and stuff?

Also,

Since most people like potatoes, and hot mashed potatoes are difficult to make the trip with... how about fresh cut french fries.

The friers will be hot and the birds will need a couple minutes to cool before carving... how about some fresh cut french fries to go with the meal?

If someone brings a bag of regular Idaho potatoes, I have a fry slicer. They only take a couple of minutes.

MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

I'll bring a bag of taters.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom