6-pack dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

my name is Wolf, and I have a 6-pack boat out of Boynton Beach FL.
Its an old platform (1981 26ft Allmand w/Penta Diesel), but runs hard and handles great.

Just got my insurances squared away, and am slowly starting to get into the business.
Been reading up the Corner and picking off good ideas and learning from others experiences. Thanks for an excellent resource.

Wanted to introduce myself, safe boating/diving everyone!

:cheers:

Attachments

• DiveBee.JPG
    DiveBee.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 60
Good looking boat! And I personally love those volvo engines! Any chance you have the TAMD41-A's? I had a pair in my boat until one decided it was time so I replaced them with the supercharged versions-I liked the older 41's better.
Good luck skipper & welcome.

Thank you fellas!

I am running the old-school TAMD40, with about 150-160hp. With correct prop (16x15L) I can get on a plane and run 16mph (this is with 2200 lb load = 8 passengers, 16 tanks, ice, fuel, gear...). Advantage to the older engine is minimal fuel consumption (3.1mpg @ cruise) and no exhaust smoke. Its a good sturdy work platform, will post more pics so you can see the deck layout.

My first paying charter is this Saturday, instructor + 6 students :)

I also do freediving/spearfishing charters, one of the few if not the only boat around here to do it. Just might make the difference in the long run hehe

I am running the old-school TAMD40, with about 150-160hp. With correct prop (16x15L) I can get on a plane and run 16mph (this is with 2200 lb load = 8 passengers, 16 tanks, ice, fuel, gear...). Advantage to the older engine is minimal fuel consumption (3.1mpg @ cruise) and no exhaust smoke. Its a good sturdy work platform, will post more pics so you can see the deck layout.

My first paying charter is this Saturday, instructor + 6 students :)

Good luck Saturday!!

I had a 1981 Topaz 24 with a TMD-40. Great motor. It is still in service in Hobe Sound with the guy that bought it from me. Max RPM was 3600 and I could make 18 knots fully loaded (fishing not diving) at 3400 but she tended to run a little warm, so I cruised at 3100 RPM at 16 knots. I used to run from Stuart to Walkers on 40 gallons. I couldn't keep up with the outboard boats, but by the time they finished up at the fuel dock, I was pulling into the marina. :blinking:

Speaking of layout, there is a little video tour of Tortuga tour on this page of my website.

http://tortugacharters.net/content/?page_id=30

Last edited:
Tortuga looks great, very well thought out!

My first charter was a success!!! On board were the instructor, and 5 students. Everyone was friendly, among them there was a 300LB kid (bad) and hot 27yo girl (good). Big kid made my dive platform flex big time.... 300LB + 39LB lead + tank/gear.... platform needs some reinforcements.

Instructor said students liked me and he will keep using my boat :)

Boat ran good, and with correct weight distribution I was able to run 13-14mph, staying on the plane with trim tabs down.

Tomorrow I am going to work on my advertising flyers, and take measurements for platform reinforcement, and go find the hardware.

PS Motor also ran kinda warm (195F) with full dive load, and cool (175F) with only myself on board. But there was no smoke, and it barely burned any fuel.

Boat ran good, and with correct weight distribution I was able to run 13-14mph, staying on the plane with trim tabs down.

Congratulations on your first charter. Do you guys drift or hook in?

Last weekend it was finally warm enough to ride outside the curtains and all six divers wanted to ride on the transom. I tried to trim her all the way down, but with a 3 foot following sea, she waddled in the trough. Finally I had to ask the 2 biggest to move to the forward bench seats. I have been on 6 pack boats where you get yelled at for moving around underway and screwing up the boat's trim.

Most of our diving is drift.... i dont like anchoring under any circumstances. Current is usually booking solid 2-3kts, you can get washed off anchor very easily....especially student divers

Congratulations on your first charter. Do you guys drift or hook in?

Last weekend it was finally warm enough to ride outside the curtains and all six divers wanted to ride on the transom. I tried to trim her all the way down, but with a 3 foot following sea, she waddled in the trough. Finally I had to ask the 2 biggest to move to the forward bench seats. I have been on 6 pack boats where you get yelled at for moving around underway and screwing up the boat's trim.
hahaha... I have to constantly remind the ballerinas on my boat that they are trim tabs not aeroplane wings!
usually I get a few of the 300+ guys all sitting on 1 gunwale and the 165 pound guy on the other. And of course they big guys are sitting on the starboard side where I have to sit to steer. Sometimes just to wake them up I throw her in full throttle and trim towards the gunwale they are sitting on and give them a wake-up call. But this is my buddies who are on every week. I would never consider doing that with anyone but these guys who have been with me for over 10 years now.

Congrats on your first charter divebee. You need to update your website with pictures of your boat!!!

It is amazing the difference load makes. That very same day, I offloaded the divers and gear and took off for the fuel dock a couple of miles away. With just me on the boat and hardly any fuel, I put the throttle in the corner for the 1/2 mile run between no wake zones. Hell, I passed a 24' Grady with twin OB's. :D

Back
Top Bottom