(6/28/2005) Like your exercise? Ever been bent? Read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey:
One night of exercise and three days of drinking.

Why are we pointing at exercise as being the problem?
I agree. I'm suspicious about all that water he drank just before his dives :eyebrow:

More seriously, this is a good example of the problems of understanding relatively rare, probabalistic events. It offends our sensibilities that sometimes people blow off significant deco obligation and "get away" with it, yet others get bent while well inside table or computer limits.

Searching for causes to rare events leads to old wive's tales, superstitions, virgin sacrifices, unsupported claims of magic powers, and only occasionally a true insight. :wink:

It's easy to overanalyze random events.

Charlie99:
My way is better than yours, but I'm keeping it to myself.
It would be imprudent to teach this sort of thing on the internet.. one would be wise to find an instructor who knows how to teach it and learn from him.

However, it's all on the board if you search for it.

jonnythan:
No computer is going to know that you're dehydrated. No computer is going to know that you were drinking the night before. No computer is going to know that you were working out 10 minutes before dive time. No computer is going to know that you were smoking as you were gearing up. No computer is going to know you have a PFO. No computer is going to know you have a body fat percentage of 50%. No computer is going to know that you're 80 years old.
Hmm, how long do you think it will be until there are dive computers with a blood analysis feature! :wink:

jonnythan:
It would be imprudent to teach this sort of thing on the internet.. one would be wise to find an instructor who knows how to teach it and learn from him.

However, it's all on the board if you search for it.
Agreed. I've disclosed some of it already. A search for "DGRYB" or "depth gauges rot yer brain" should pull it up.

I also offer classes. It's never covered in written material or class handouts, so I expect you to take good notes. There are only a few requirements to be able to take my classes. Being a vegetarian and having low cholesterol levels are some of the basic ones. There are also some basic requirements I impose on gear configuration before you are eligible for my class.

I tailor my classes as we go along. This means of course, that I may not cover my improved methods during the introductory course, and you might have to come back for Diver1 or even my Diver2 course.

PM me on more details on where classes will be held.

Charlie99:
Agreed. I've disclosed some of it already. A search for "DGRYB" or "depth gauges rot yer brain should pull it up.

I also offer classes. It's never covered in written material or class handouts, so I expect you to take good notes. There are only a few requirements to be able to take my classes. Being a vegetarian and having low cholesterol levels are some of the basic ones. There are also some basic requirements I impose on gear configuration before you are eligible for my class.

I tailor my classes as we go along. This means of course, that I may not cover my improved methods during the introductory course, and you might have to come back for Diver1 or even my Diver2 course.

Wow, what random requirements! If they made sense I might consider your class. You might want to think about dropping the vegetarian thing, since it has nothing to do with diving.... oh and course material is also very good.. books, handouts, workbooks, videos, websites, etc... :wink:

Uncle Pug:
There is a much better way that yields much longer total dive times with plenty of conservatism as well. It isn't hard but it does require taking control of your dive away from a computer and managing it yourself.
And that method is? Using tables?

Charlie99:
Agreed. I've disclosed some of it already. A search for "DGRYB" or "depth gauges rot yer brain should pull it up.

But I can't spell DIR...

Seriously people. This is a great thread for SO many reasons:
-why shouldn't we just trust our computers? They don't calculate deep stops because they don't consider every dive a deco dive. (Yes within rec limits.)
-isn't the water replacement enough to make up for the drinks? No!! Yes we need more research but my grey matter is telling me that putting a poision like alchol in my system prior to any dive is bad math.

Bla blah blah, this is just IMHO. Thanks for letting me put it up!

I hope your buddy does see diving differently and heals.

jonnythan:
Wow, what random requirements!
Holistic, not random!
jonnythan:
oh and course material is also very good.. books, handouts, workbooks, videos, websites, etc... :wink:
Agreed, I do provide enough material that the graduates of MY classes are never confused like the ones in the Ascent from Minimum Deco thread. Graduates of my classes would never consider a constant linear ascent like THIS to be the optimum strategy.

So Jonnythan, for people that don't meet the entrance requirements of my classes, where do you suggest they go to learn these improved methods?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom