(6/28/2005) Like your exercise? Ever been bent? Read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Not at all Nobby. I'm just aware of the inadequacies of dive computers and how they lull divers into stuporously following their advice.

There is a much better way that yields much longer total dive times with plenty of conservatism as well. It isn't hard but it does require taking control of your dive away from a computer and managing it yourself.

Still...most folks would rather let their dive computer do the thinking for them. I just don't find that particularly wise but it certainly has been helpful to the dive industry as a profit point.

UP,

I gonna have to disagree with you... to a piont. You come off as making computers out to be "wrong" - yet I don't think that is actually you opinion... and I think most people don't get it right. Your point is (correct me if I'm wrong) is that most divers "learn" to dive by relying soley on their computer (kinda like doing math on a claculator when you don't know any more than to push button's - you're never sure if the answer is right). Where I disagree with you is that computers can actually enhance your education by backing up your own "work" (dive planning) and furthering your understanding of on/off gassing. Now I'm not talking about some of those cheap "hockey puck" models. I'm talking about the better (information-wise) AI units (like the SmartCOM, etc.) IF they are used in conjunction with a continued study of dive planning and profile analysis (using their software, graphs, etc.) then these tools can be productive.
Where I agree with you is that this simply is not the case (not exclusively - but mostly for sure). I think the reason is that DI's tell their students to use these things to make their diving easier and safer (that's my own observation). I'm sure their intentions are good and true, but the best of intentions pave the road to hell. While I've had a good experience in using my computer, I now find that I no longer want it along as I feel that I can manage my plans/dives better than it can. BUT... there can be no arguing that the computer does indeed provide an accurate portrayal of the particular deco model(s) for an ideal dive with maximum "bottom times". Unfortunately (as has been stated) these "ideal" conditions do not always apply. Divers who drink (alcohol), smoke, and in general do not physically support thier diving activities to "ideal" conditions need to curb thier dependance on dive computers and learn to adjust their dive profiles (or better yet - give up these vices altogether when diving). Just like handguns... dive computers don't kill people - people kill themselves from a lack of disipline and management. Everyone was given this information when they went to their OW class (emphasised or not). The information was there - yet many refuse to heed the warrnings and absorb the readily available information to keep them as safe as possible by learning how to plan and manage their diving. Yes... computers make this easier to do and get away with - but they are not responsible. Every diver ought to get just one simple thing firmly planted into their head... "I'm responsible for my own diving". A computer can't keep you safe, your buddy can't keep you safe, a DM can't keep you safe - only you can keep yourself safe. So it follows that every dive needs to unserstand their diving... rec to tek. If you can't do that - you are NOT safe in the water!

I followed a very experienced DM on a 80fsw wreck with 5 other divers.
I was in the poorest shape of my life at the time. DM followed us down the line
and back up. As close to identical dives as possible. He got bent.
All your comments regarding all the other risk factors are, imo, very worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom