(6/28/2005) Like your exercise? Ever been bent? Read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
So Jonnythan, for people that don't meet the entrance requirements of my classes, where do you suggest they go to learn these improved methods?
Just because the method is taught almost exclusively by instructors from a certain agency does not mean that the method is not superior.

jonnythan:
Just because the method is taught almost exclusively by instructors from a certain agency does not mean that the method is not superior.
You mean the linear ascent method? Like

Soggy:
I don't know how other agencies teach it, but GUE teaches a 'minimum deco' ascent which includes on ALL dives 1 minute at 30', 20', and 10'. Additionally, deep stops are started at 80% of your max atmospheres or 75% of your maximum depth (they come out to be about the same number) and continued every 10' thereafter.

So, for a 100 foot dive, the stops would be
70' - :01
60' - :01
50' - :01
40' - :01
30' - :01
20' - :01
10' - :01

Or do you mean the
Uncle Pug:
There is a much better way that yields much longer total dive times with plenty of conservatism as well.

Charlie99:
You mean the linear ascent method?

Or do you mean the
The latter, since that's relevant to the topic of the thread.

It was briefly discussed in my DIRF class. However, I've slowly been *teaching* it to myself with the use of GAP and V-Planner. It's funny.. it's really just doing it enough times to notice patterns and paying attention to your own body..

OK ladies and gentlemen… I’m confused. When I took (and passed GUE’s F class) I don’t recall anything like soggy’s stops. What I recall and I confirmed by pulling out my class materials was a pause… not a 1 minute stops at 80% ATA and to the surface but pauses at 80% ATA and then pauses at 10 foot intervals there after until 30, 20 and 10 feet with full 1 minute stops at those shalower depths. We were all cautioned that the tables from our own agencies were to be respected and that the general idea was to simply slow the ascent. Rather than a relatively quick ascent to 15 feet…with a 3-minute stop one was to flatten out the ascent curve by building in additional time at depth to off gas.

Now I know of the existence of the v-planner and when I take Tech 1 this August no doubt I will buy it and use it.

So what’s the problem here? Does anybody on this board think that for recreational diving a slower ascent is a bad thing? Does anybody think that adding more time to off gas is an unsafe procedure?

I’m missing something but I’m not sure what. What’s all the coyness about GUE? I’m a PADI instructor and for my students I teach them to dive the tables and to add additional time at depth to decompress a la what I learned in F… No violation of standards, just greater awareness of the importance of a slow ascent.

Tollie:
OK ladies and gentlemen… I’m confused. When I took (and passed GUE’s F class) I don’t recall anything like soggy’s stops. What I recall and I confirmed by pulling out my class materials was a pause… not a 1 minute stops at 80% ATA and to the surface but pauses at 80% ATA and then pauses at 10 foot intervals there after until 30, 20 and 10 feet with full 1 minute stops at those shalower depths.
Isn't that what Soggy said?

Soooooo.......in the true exploratory nature of the thread.....what if....
the person who got bent hadn't been diving at all.
Would their exercise have effected their ability to metabolize the alcohol?:wink:

Should we perhaps avoid excercising before drinking?:)

pennypue:
Soooooo.......in the true exploratory nature of the thread.....what if....
the person who got bent hadn't been diving at all.
Would their exercise have effected their ability to metabolize the alcohol?:wink:

Should we perhaps avoid excercising before drinking?:)

No, on the contrary, drink whilst exercising too. The alcohol will be metabolized at a faster rate due to the sugary content being used as energy in the TCA and nor-adrenaline cycles, or if you're intersted:

The anaerobic threshold, which is the limit of the aerobic glycolytic system (i.e., the so-called aerobic exercise limit) was not influenced by exercise under an acute alcoholic load. However, after the production of lactate started, the respiratory compensation point, which is the limit of the metabolic compensatory action, appeared earlier. This suggested that the intake of alcohol would influence the energy metabolism of skeletal muscles by a mechanism in which the disturbed metabolism of lactate in skeletal muscles was mainly involved!

I have heard that drinking can impair some exercises though.....like putting your socks on for example! :wink:

Check this out!

http://www.enhancealcohol.com/exercise_with_alcohol.htm

Going back to original issue, bends, noticed two factors wich may have some influence to this incident.
1. Making four dives in two days with maximum time/depth his computers allowed there's a risk with profiles he had durin the dives. Computers (and neither tables) can't calculate the risk having a jojo or unlinear profile during a dive especially while diving at the limits.
2. Dehydration after the dives. Drinking a lot before the dive can cause dehydration after a dive, so it's better to drink a bit before a dive and lot after...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom