(6/28/2005) Like your exercise? Ever been bent? Read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Light/medium cardio 48 hours before getting bent, then drinking the night before and doing semi-aggressive dives? And you think the exercise did something?

Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.

jonnythan:
Light/medium cardio 48 hours before getting bent, then drinking the night before and doing semi-aggressive dives? And you think the exercise did something?

Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.

No, I think you do. I've read your posts and respect what you say, you have great insight to a lot of things.

I just think that if I went and ran for twenty minutes, then went and did a dive within the dive tables and got bent that you could not rule exercise out as a contributing factor.

PlanoDvr1:
I just think that if I went and ran for twenty minutes, then went and did a dive within the dive tables and got bent that you could not rule exercise out as a contributing factor.
Certainly not.. but if you went out and ran for twenty minutes, then *two days later* you got bent on aggressive multiple dives after drinking both of those nights.. would you still not rule it out?

BTW, I wasn't kidding about not knowing what I'm talking about. I really don't know a whole lot.. but my writing style is very self-assured and I never hesitate to speak my mind, which often gives the impression that I *do* know what I'm talking about. It's gotten me in a lot of trouble and these days I toss around disclaimers that I really don't know what I'm talking about as much as I can :wink:

Being self-assured is not bad. Confidence, self-esteem are all good things. My kids test mine every day!

But your right, light cardio 48 hours prior would be less weightable as a factor.

Doug

Taipeidiver:
The Suunto computer gave him a mandatory stop. From experience, Suunto computers are more conservative than many other brands (at the factory setting, though this can be adjusted). This is one of the reasons I dive with a Suunto computer, or strictly on tables.

I also dive with a Suunto, and with all the talk about how conservative they are, I guess I always felt pretty smug about my own safety. Thanks for this story - it just goes to show that some extra caution is never a bad thing. Hope Tim is doing better now - and is back in the water (with maybe a bit more conservatism).

OK... it has to be said. "Computers Rot Your Brain"

Proof? Right here in this thread and the responses: a guy gets bent diving computers and you all are jumping on exercise and/or alcohol.

You computer users think that they make diving safer while ignoring the obvious fact that the two computers gave different information even while worn on the same wrist (and not only did they not agree with each other but both were wrong and the guy still gets bent.)

That dive computers can do lightening fast calculations (the mantra of many brain rotted computer users) means nothing... the numbers they have to work with and the algorithms they use are far to simplistic and incomplete.

Uncle Pug:
OK... it has to be said. "Computers Rot Your Brain"

Proof? Right here in this thread and the responses: a guy gets bent diving computers and you all are jumping on exercise and/or alcohol.

You computer users think that they make diving safer while ignoring the obvious fact that the two computers gave different information even while worn on the same wrist (and not only did they not agree with each other but both were wrong and the guy still gets bent.)

That dive computers can do lightening fast calculations (the mantra of many brain rotted computer users) means nothing... the numbers they have to work with and the algorithms they use are far to simplistic and incomplete.

Hmmmm....so he needs to buy another computer and follow the most conservative one. http://www.scubaboard.com/images/icons/icon_wink.gif
Winky

Whats up w/ my Winky icon???

jonnythan:
He got bent two full days after exercising.... and the afternoon after two consecutive nights of drinking.

Exercise had nothing to do with it...
so the exercise wasn't immediately preceeding or proceeding a dive.....what's your point?

PlanoDvr1:
I think exercise had something to do with it, you can't rule it out. I think drinking had something to do w/ it, you can't rule it out. Maybe the food he ate or didn't eat, maybe the sleep he had or didn't have.

Point of the post was for information to be passed on so that we can at least avoid some of the possible contributors to DCS.

I for one appreciate the info.

Doug
Cheers Doug.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom