(6/28/2005) Like your exercise? Ever been bent? Read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One night of exercise and three days of drinking.

Why are we pointing at exercise as being the problem?

Roak

The Suunto computer gave him a mandatory stop. From experience, Suunto computers are more conservative than many other brands (at the factory setting, though this can be adjusted). This is one of the reasons I dive with a Suunto computer, or strictly on tables.

The bottom line here is that even scientists with REALLY big brains, research grants and laboratories with assistants in white coats and everything, don't really understand all of the factors affecting a persons predisposition for DCS/DCI. Similarly poorly understood is why one person will get bent on a particular profile and others will not, or even whether or why a person will get bent doing the same profiles on different days. Sure we have identified factors which might increase the likelihood of DCS/DCI, but these are based upon empirical evidence, i.e. observation, rather than absolutes. Like all statistical analyses not everybody fits nicely under the curve, this is why we have safety margins in our tables and computers.

This guy was obviously fit, not a heavy drinker (by British standards, anyway), cautious (as evidenced by the use of two computers), was diving within recreational limits no more than twice a day with a decent surface interval, and had only dived four times before getting bent.

I reckon that "Unlucky Mate" sums it up nicely.

roakey:
One night of exercise and three days of drinking.

Why are we pointing at exercise as being the problem?

Roak
Doh...How many times? We're not......It was just an observation.....RTFT.

What can you do about all the exertion you do getting all your gear from the vehicle to the water, then from the water to the vehicle when shore diving. I have had to pack my gear over 200 yards before. Didn't like it but wanted to maake the dive.

onfloat:
Maybe the title of the thread???

Like your exercise? Ever been bent? Read this
Ok. Let me spell it out. There have been observations that exercising before, after or both combined at the same time as diving could cause DCS. NOW, just to get this straight, to those of you that think my thread was only posted to say that exercising and diving wether before, after or both causes DCS, it was not the intention. SINCE no-one can determine the actual cause of DCS in most circumstances, seeing as NITROGEN affects many people in many different ways, it was just FOOD FOR THOUGHT. Now here's something for you to chew on, maybe Tim has a hole in his heart? Again another pre-disposition for the cause of DCS.

I won't bother in future and you can do the research yourself.

FMW625

As for the exercising from your car to the dive site, moderation in the name of the game. It is all a case of exertion, 200yds/m to a fit and healthy individual should not be too much concern!

Nobby:
Ok. Let me spell it out. There have been observations that exercising before, after or both combined at the same time as diving could cause DCS. NOW, just to get this straight, to those of you that think my thread was only posted to say that exercising and diving wether before, after or both causes DCS, it was not the intention. SINCE no-one can determine the actual cause of DCS in most circumstances, seeing as NITROGEN affects many people in many different ways, it was just FOOD FOR THOUGHT. Now here's something for you to chew on, maybe Tim has a hole in his heart? Again another pre-disposition for the cause of DCS.

I won't bother in future and you can do the research yourself.

Hey, don't go away mad. I was just stating that the title of the thread seems to lead us to believe that the exercise caused him to get bent. When you read the story it appears that there are so many contributing factors that it would be hard to single anyone of them out, and he exercised the day before he went diving which seems to be a diminishing factor.

onfloat:
Hey, don't go away mad. I was just stating that the title of the thread seems to lead us to believe that the exercise caused him to get bent. When you read the story it appears that there are so many contributing factors that it would be hard to single anyone of them out, and he exercised the day before he went diving which seems to be a diminishing factor.
I'm not mad, seems that a lot of people want to shoot the messenger.

He got bent two full days after exercising.... and the afternoon after two consecutive nights of drinking.

Exercise had nothing to do with it...

I think exercise had something to do with it, you can't rule it out. I think drinking had something to do w/ it, you can't rule it out. Maybe the food he ate or didn't eat, maybe the sleep he had or didn't have.

Point of the post was for information to be passed on so that we can at least avoid some of the possible contributors to DCS.

I for one appreciate the info.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom