(6/15/05) Jewfish: 1 Spearfisherman: 0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"GG" = Goliath Grouper. 'Politically Correct' name for Jewfish...

SteveFass:
translation please - "GG" ??
And good to know - if a Jewfish is humming me a tune, she's not being romantic.

It is hard to mistake. It sounds like a thump. A deep thump. Once I was face to face with a rather large jewfish. It had its pectoral fins fully displayed, thumping at me. I wished the fish well and went my way down the reef. This was one of six jewfish I saw on the dive and all of them were larger than 100lbs.

Funny thing, I didn't see a single grouper, snapper or any other fish to shoot on this dive. I wonder if there were too many predators..................

Joe

a maroon:
Their numbers are getting out of control. I think they should open a two-day season on jewfish," Charles said. "They protect them, but what about us?"

Protect us? What a maroon.

Diversion:
"GG" = Goliath Grouper. 'Politically Correct' name for Jewfish...

Yup. I think we'll now have to change the following names too:

Damselfish to Msfish
Clownfish to ComedicEntertainerFish
Angelfish to Wingfish (... religous PC issue)
WeakFish to StrengthChallengedFish
PIG/HogFish to WeightChallengedFish
KingFish to RoyalFamilyFish
Menhaden to PeopleHaden

:D

Why are humans the only animals that think they don't belong in certain places? If humans weren't supposed to swim, we wouldn't be capable of holding our breath. Have you ever seen a squirrel holding its breath? Why do all of you people think we don't belong underwater? Some say give the fish the right of way, I say that every animal shares its habitat with every other animal, and that is whats called an ecosystem. If that fish doesn't like it, well tough **** on him. If hes got a big enough problem with me, let him attack me. Thats natures way, in much the same way that lions repel invaders of their territory. With the quickness and agility...not to mention the teeth...of ANY fish, I'd venture to say that spearfisherman and jewfish/GG would make a decent matchup.

One things for sure...if a fish ever attacked me I would NEVER think twice about shooting one again.

DiveGolfSki:
Yup. I think we'll now have to change the following names too:

Damselfish to Msfish
Clownfish to ComedicEntertainerFish
Angelfish to Wingfish (... religous PC issue)
WeakFish to StrengthChallengedFish
PIG/HogFish to WeightChallengedFish
KingFish to RoyalFamilyFish
Menhaden to PeopleHaden

:D

I like it. Don't forget Hermit Crab needs to be replaced with, well, you get the idea...

BTW - Did I read this article right - his buddy emerges from the dive, maskless and paniced right after some giant fish clamps onto his dome and shakes him (while spear fishing on scuba.... whatever) nearly ripping his lip off, and what happens next?

The "hunter" gets on the boat, ices his fat lip and his buddy suits up, goes over the side to go get the stringer and the spear. Do I have that right?

"Hunter": (in muffled, blood soaked slur...) "dood... shom jhiant feesh bit mhy lipsh off...."

Buddy: Shake it off, man. Here, I was saving this for the daqueries, dammit. Put this cube on that fat lip, and try not to bleed on me. So??? Where's the stringer of dinner?

"Hunter": Thanksh four de icsh. Yooure dah besht. Dah shtringerr ish on de bottom wif my spheer.

Buddy: You're kidding? You get your lip munched, mask torn off, and dinner's on the bottom. Here's another cube and a towel. I'm gonna suit up and find the stringer and spear. Its a good thing fishy didn't take off your arm - you might bleed to death while I'm combing the bottom for some dead fish on a hoop and your friggen spear. While I'm on this recovery mission, break out the magic markers and make a couple of score cards...

These guys sound like a couple of winners.

---
Ken

scenario 312:

diver: you don't get it, dude! my head! was inside! the fish's mouth!!

dude: like, no way dude... fish can't open their mouths that big

diver: the fish! was! huge!!! dude!!!!

dude: dude!! no way!! what ya gonna do?

diver: gonna go down there again soon, try to REALLY piss him off by shooting
a steel rod through his body!!

dude: dude!!!!

H2Andy:
scenario 312:

diver: you don't get it, dude! my head! was inside! the fish's mouth!!

dude: like, no way dude... fish can't open their mouths that big

diver: the fish! was! huge!!! dude!!!!

dude: dude!! no way!! what ya gonna do?

diver: gonna go down there again soon, try to REALLY piss him off by shooting
a steel rod through his body!!

dude: dude!!!!

Dude: Sweet

Diver: Dude

Dude: Sweet

Diver: Dude

Dude: Sweet...

oy.

---
Ken

mxracer19:
Why are humans the only animals that think they don't belong in certain places? If humans weren't supposed to swim, we wouldn't be capable of holding our breath. Have you ever seen a squirrel holding its breath? Why do all of you people think we don't belong underwater? Some say give the fish the right of way, I say that every animal shares its habitat with every other animal, and that is whats called an ecosystem. If that fish doesn't like it, well tough **** on him. If hes got a big enough problem with me, let him attack me. Thats natures way, in much the same way that lions repel invaders of their territory. With the quickness and agility...not to mention the teeth...of ANY fish, I'd venture to say that spearfisherman and jewfish/GG would make a decent matchup.

One things for sure...if a fish ever attacked me I would NEVER think twice about shooting one again.

YEAH! And if dolphins are so smart, how come they can't walk, huh? How bout that?

mxracer19:

HUH??? You're kidding me, right? This is so funny on so many levels.

* He wasn't holding his breath

* He was wearing a mask

* He had fins

* He had a weapon

* etc, etc, etc...

Get a grip. If the GG was flopping on the sand, and Dude (or was it diver...?) was going all WWF on it, like, hand to hand and put fishy in a pile driver, it might make your "decent matchup"...

Yeah - about the same as if this loser fell into the water, without a mask, exposure suit, weapon or fins and had to try to lock up on fishy in his ecosystem.

I'm by no means a fish hugger, but I wouldn't try to come in here peddling your "decent matchup" theory between diver and fish. It is by no means "natures way". We rule this place - I get that. But don't start mixing your examples with breath holding squirrels and humans hunting in Scuba... c'mon.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom