(6/15/05) Jewfish: 1 Spearfisherman: 0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, reading the the divers quote "Their numbers are getting out of control. I think they should open a two-day season on jewfish," Charles said. "They protect them, but what about us?"
Is it that bad of a problem?
Or is he just pissed a fish kicked his ***** because he was not smart enough to interpret the signals.
Sorry but i'm tired of these stupid people doing stupid stuff and going"like I don't know why the shark bit my arm off, all I did was try to touch its tonseils"

sounded to me like he's got an agenda

Yeah, no ****, Andy. That's just what I was thinking. This guy burns me. Who was in whose home? Dork. If he doesn't know enough to avoid being attacked by an aggressive fish, he's too stupid to be down there spearing fish. I hope he is being watched very carefully for his catch in the future.

H2Andy:
sounded to me like he's got an agenda

Maybe he poked himself with his own speargun in hopes of being granted a revenge killing.

Their number must be getting out of control. A couple dives ago I actually saw one.

Agenda or not, the jewfish population in the Gulf is very strong. I have been chased out of a GG's territory while spearfishing, and I heeded its warning. The only animal that has ever presented a serious challenge to me underwater has been jewfish (sgt. majors don't really count do they?). Although I have never been buzzed by sharks while carrying a stringer of fish either.

Any large predator that shows up while I am spearfishing is given the right of way. I will not continue to hunt if a shark or jewfish is interested in what I am doing. I understand that this is their playground and I am just a visitor. They can have my lunch money.

The guy in the article should have known better. He stated up front that the fish was acting strange. He should have taken that as a warning.

Joe

LeFlaneur:
Maybe he poked himself with his own speargun in hopes of being granted a revenge killing.

Their number must be getting out of control. A couple dives ago I actually saw one.

Depends on where you dive. In the Gulf, the numbers are up. It is not uncommon to see 5 or 6 really large (100lbs +) GG's hanging around. On the other hand, I have only seen one jewfish diving the East Coast. Ever.

Awesome fish. I am not advocating their destruction. And I don't personally want to see them hunted. But I do want to be able to spearfish. The solution is to treat them like the predators they are and leave them alone.

Joe

Divesherpa:
What's the deal with the name change? I still call them Jewfish, none of my Jewish friends seem to mind. What gives?

Maybe this will shed some light on the name:

Renaming isle is new kettle of fish
posted 06/10/01
By HOWARD M. UNGER
howard.unger@herald-trib.com

LONGBOAT KEY -- The fish has been renamed, but what to do with the tiny island that bears its "offensive" former name?

Last month, North America's fish-naming authority rechristened the jewfish as the more politically correct, though still biblical, "goliath grouper."

One of Longboat Key's smallest islands was named for the largest fish in the grouper species. Jewfish Key is an isolated enclave to the south of Longboat Pass, accessible only by boat.

For its part-time residents, though, it's La Lenaire Isle, the official title of its registered subdivision.

One Longboat official doesn't like that name either.

"I'd prefer David Key," said Hal Lenobel, a member of Longboat Key's Town Commission, referencing the Jewish hero of David and Goliath fame. "Should it come up, that would be my suggestion."
Rabbi Michael Eisenstat of Temple Beth Israel would like Jewfish Key, in the back, renamed. “When I hear ‘Jewfish,’ I can only think of it in a negative way,” he says.

But since the American Fisheries Society officially renamed the jewfish on May 16, no one has brought the issue to the commission, the body responsible for naming places within the city.

"I would hate to have it brought up," Lenobel said. "You might get residents who don't want to rename the island. It could lead to some contentious feelings."

What do Jewfish islanders think of the idea? The Herald-Tribune couldn't reach any. The key has four homes -- three listed as part-time residences -- and no telephone lines.

There's a public dock, electricity and a road called La Lenaire Lane. There's no running water and no crime.

"I've worked here four years and can't remember sending anyone to Jewfish Key," said Longboat Key police spokesman Steve Decker.

Politically correct name changing is nothing new. In the Dakotas, lawmakers have passed bans on ethnically offensive words like squaw and Negro, forcing the names of towns, streams and gulches to be dropped. In Nebraska, Boys Town is debating whether to call itself Girls and Boys Town.

Why Jewfish Key was named for the fish is unknown, as is the origin of Jewfish Creek, the name of a small waterway near Key Largo.

The origin of the fish's name is unclear, too. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the fish was so clean, it was considered ultra-kosher, the Jewish dietary law.

Webster's Dictionary, however, says jewfish may be derived from giupesce, Italian for "bottom fish." After getting hooked, it's known to drop to the bottom of the water.

Some locals say it evolved from "jawfish" because the goliath grouper, which can weigh up to 700 pounds, has a large mouth.

The leader of Longboat's only synagogue, however, said he always thought it was a derogatory term.

"I had heard that the profile of the fish looked like a stereotypical picture (of a Jew) and took it as a very negative thing," said Rabbi Michael Eisenstat of Temple Beth Israel.

No matter what the origin, the rabbi said, he would like the island renamed. "When I hear 'Jewfish,' I can only think of it in a negative way."
But he said he would leave it to his congregants to lobby the town commission about the issue.

In its report last month, the American Fisheries Society's Names of Fishes Committee said that while no evidence existed that the jewfish's name was being used offensively, "it was deemed offensive to many individuals."

Committee Chairman Joseph Nelson said petitions had been arriving for years, many of them from the Sarasota area. When the group voted on the jewfish, it was only the second time a fish had been renamed. In 1998, the squawfish became the pikeminnow. Native Americans say "squaw" is slang for a woman's genitalia.

"The geographical place-names people will have to deal with the issue themselves," said Nelson, a professor at the University of Alberta.

"But it's the same argument," he said. "If it's offensive for the fish, why wouldn't it be offensive for the island?"

The island's new name doesn't have to be tied to the fish, Nelson said, unless there's a historical link.

"If there isn't, something else might work. Maybe a Native American name or the one that was displaced before it was called Jewfish," he said.

At the Florida Aquarium in Tampa, the sign outside the tank of its 200-plus pound goliath grouper has raised eyebrows with its reference to the outdated name. Although the title on the tank now says "Goliath Grouper," the informational plaque has yet to be changed and still refers to it as a jewfish.

"We've gotten more comments about it now than we did before we changed it," said Jeff Swanagan, executive director of the aquarium, which rescued the grouper from Stuart, where it was trapped in a pipe.

"I'm thinking of doing a name contest now that he's gotten so much attention," he said of the nameless goliath grouper, which has been in the news since the species name was changed.

The aquarium director said renaming Longboat's Jewfish Key would be easier than naming the fish.

"I think Goliath Key would be cool," he said.

Whatever they call it, I call it DINNER :eyebrow: ... I wish.

As for the diver attacked by the "BIG FISH" and whether he learns anything, I doubt it

"I didn't realize my head was in his mouth until I was on the way to the hospital, and I saw the blood on top of my head,"

I know this "attack" seemed to be territorial but isn't swimming around a reef with a string of speared fish about the same as hiking the Serengeti dragging a dead antelope?

And when are they gonna change the name of the blue-eyed honkeyfish?

:laughing:

translation please - "GG" ??
And good to know - if a Jewfish is humming me a tune, she's not being romantic.

Back
Top Bottom