5mm wetsuit - too hot for Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stingray3,

Just because you are not comfortable at that temperture with that level of protection doesn't mean that others aren't. I have dove with several people who have varying degrees of temperture comfort including jbd. My instructor wore a 7mm in 75 degree water while the rest of us were quite comfortable in 3mm.

Is there some reason you feel you need to be hostile toward other members of the board?

Chad

A 5mm is too thick for me in the Carribean, I wear a 3/2 shorty down to ~70 degrees and a 5mm below that to about 55 degrees, below that - I consider whether I really want to dive that day! [Yes lurkers, I am a tried & true CAD!]

But - like they have said above - everybody has a different internal temperature response.

For you - Why not dive the 5mm? - you'll not be too warm in the water, if so, unzip it a little. Above the water - just pull it off/down and drink little more water! Whatever you choose - jsut remember to keep hydrating.

Cheers

A lot of folks won't "feel cold" or notice it but their body will sense the cold and need better insulation (under water).

If being in the water for 20 or 30 minutes makes you feel like you have to pee, you're cold. Don't kid yourself. Plus, you're dehydrating (thorough your Kidneys) when you're cold.

=======================

I just got back from a week in the Caribbean (on a Liveaboard), water temp 78F-79F.

Most folks wore 3mm shorties with a skin.

I was more comfortable in a lycra and fleece (polartec) jumpsuit.
One diver (of the 12 on board) was cold in a 5mm 2 piece.
One of the instructors wore 6mm (a 3mm shortie on top of a 3 mm jumpsuit).

We were diving up to 5 times a day.

Generally, instructors and dive masters will wear more than then the passengers. They're not stupid. They're in the water every day. They know they need to wear more than what the tourists think is enough.

If the water's in the low 80's, you won't feel too warm underwater no matter what you're wearing. But make sure it's nice and flexible and comfortable.

Personally, this is the first time a used a polartec jumpsuit -- I loved it (supposed to be like a 2mm or 2.5 mm neoprene suit without the bouyancy impact). Felt slightly warmer than my 3mm shortie with a shell.

Your mileage may vary...

Originally posted by jbd
Stingray3--According to my log book the warmest water I've been in at depth was 72*F. The dives were 40 and 60 minutes. No exposure suit worn. The coldest dive I've been on at depth 39*F for 22 minutes--exposure suit was 3/2 full wetsuit , 5mm gloves, 5mm boots and a hood. I was cold on that dive. I don't mind 45 to 50 degree water and many of my dives are in that temperature range with bottom times in the neighborhood of 30 minutes depending on the circiumstances.

I never brag about how much air I have left since I like to use all that I safely can of every tank on every dive. Air is cheap but its not free. I like bang for my buck.

I have buddy signatures for the dives mentioned.

If you really do dive in 39degree water with a 3/2 then you are puttin yourself, and your buddy at risk. The chance of hypothermia affecting your thinking ability at that temperature is very high. If your thinking is affected, you are at risk.
Sorry, just my lowly two cents worth.

No offence, but I am worried about you.

Dave

For the original post.. If a 5mm suit keeps you warm and toasty, and you can handle the extra bouancy.... Then wear that puppy! You will be much more comfortable, when you are to hot, than you will be - when you get to cold.

Dave:D

You may find you need more neoprene as you get more comfortable in the water.

I started off renting a 3mm shortie. It was fine at first, but once I calmed down and stopped flailing my arms around, I started getting cold. Bought a 3/2mm fullsuit and went through the same thing... initially I was warm enough, but now I sometimes wear a 3mm vest underneath it. The water temperature around here ranges from 27 to 30C (80 to 86F) and lots of people dive in skins and shorties, but I get cold easily. I sometimes wish I'd bought a thicker suit, but layering it with a vest works pretty well (getting into the vest is another matter -- it's a real struggle).

As lots of people have said, everyone is different, and there's no easy way to tell how much insulation you'll need. Do you know what the water temperature was in the pool? Is it similar to the water temperatures where you'll be diving, or warmer, or cooler?

Zept

Originally posted by DivingGal
Any time I've been in the warm water 70F+ the most I've every used is a 3/2mm. Earlier this month I used in Florida - water temp low 70s, and I wished I had my shortie.

But then I'm from the "frozen north" and have cheerfully dive in 60f in the 3/2.

Damn DG, that's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!

ID

Originally posted by Iguana Don
Damn DG, that's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!
ID

So that's what happened to the poor thing hehehe.

Really it's not that cold - all what you are use to, and what you can tolerate.

Forget all that cold crap! I might be able to tolerate it, but I don't like it. 5mm full for me in temps from 55degrees up to 75 degrees. I have yet to dive warmer or colder than those ranges. If I was to do the 55degree thing again, I would get a 3mm vest to wear under my 5mm. I am very comfortable in 70degree water in my 5mm. Unless the water is above 90, I think it will suit me just fine. I will just have to remove the beanie and gloves. Remember, it is easier to cool down your core under water, simply stretch your neck and wrist seals out to allow more water exchange. However, if your core gets chilled, it takes a long time to warm it up. Your core can be chilled, and you might not even feel cold yet.

This monday I am leaving for grand cayman (water: 80*F). With me will be my scubapro 5mm. I, too, have questioned whether that is too warm, but I decided that I would rather be too warm than too cold. Besides, they can only get too hot on the surface when you're sitting in the sun.

brandon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom