5mm wetsuit - too hot for Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyerfan22

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I are in the process of getting scuba certified - still have our OW dives to complete.

We plan to dive mainly in the Caribbean waters on vacations (in May, we're cruising on the NCL Sun - Rotaan, Belize, Cozumel and Grand Cayman).

We just purchased Henderson 5mm hyperstretch wetsuits. Will we be too hot in these suits? In a local pool, they were definitely uncomfortable. However, I tend to get cold in the water, and thought a 5mm would be perfect. Now I'm not so sure.

Should we return these and get something else? Any advise/experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Any time I've been in the warm water 70F+ the most I've every used is a 3/2mm. Earlier this month I used in Florida - water temp low 70s, and I wished I had my shortie.

But then I'm from the "frozen north" and have cheerfully dive in 60f in the 3/2.

DivingGal,

You are tougher than me. The water here is in the mid seventies below the thermocline and I wear a hood and gloves.

As far as the question goes I can only answer that everyones internal thermometer is different what one person fills warm in someone else is freezing in. But personally I would keep the 5mm because when you get hooked like the rest of us you might need it for the local conditions even if you only need a 3mm or diveskin for the trips. But if money is an issue the 3mm is at my best guess all you will need in the caribbean.

Chad

Well I can tell you this, you'll not be to warm so don't worry about that, the temp will be about 84 at that time. Some people will be diving without wet suits and some with, my advice woulkd be the way your going to dive. Crusie ship diving is like a cattle cart in out and thats your lot. Try and book with a local operator before you arrive and keep clear of th Mooooow, crowd.

I'm a lot like DivingGal and I agree with ckharlan66 everybody is different in their cold tolerance. In my case I don't mind 45 to 50 degree water in a 3/2 full wetsuit. If I feel I'm geting too warm with the wetsuit during a dive then I unzip the wetsuit to allow water in(an advantage of a front sip suit IMHO) also you may be fine if you don't wear a hood and gloves which will allow some heat to dissipate.

Depending on where you live you might end up wanting to do some local diving as ckharlan66 mentioned and you would very happy to have those 5 mm suits.

Oh come on jbd don't feed us with that bull**it 45 to 50 degree water in a 3/2 full wetsuit, ye right! How long do you stay and dive for 2 minutes! unless you a 400lbs beached whale then you'll freeze your ass off in a 3/2. You are problibly one of these dives who always talks about how much air they have after a dive too ah!

Welcome flyerfan. I'm easily cold too, and with my local waters in the mid-upper 50s, I wear a two piece 6.5mm suit (full + sleeveless shorty). I can't imagine being warm enough in a 3/2 like jbd! Brr!!:eek:

Anyway, that said, last time I dove the Caribbean, the water was mid-80s (mid August) and I was fine in a 2/1 shorty. I'll be there next month and will be bringing my 3mm though, since water temps are 79-80F right now.

-Simon

I've dove with jbd and he freezes me with what he wears but he seems quite comfortable. I am going to have to get a dry suit if I am going to keep diving locally.

Chad

Stingray3--According to my log book the warmest water I've been in at depth was 72*F. The dives were 40 and 60 minutes. No exposure suit worn. The coldest dive I've been on at depth 39*F for 22 minutes--exposure suit was 3/2 full wetsuit , 5mm gloves, 5mm boots and a hood. I was cold on that dive. I don't mind 45 to 50 degree water and many of my dives are in that temperature range with bottom times in the neighborhood of 30 minutes depending on the circiumstances.

I never brag about how much air I have left since I like to use all that I safely can of every tank on every dive. Air is cheap but its not free. I like bang for my buck.

I have buddy signatures for the dives mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom