5mm wetsuit - too hot for Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just dove in Belize at Christmas. Water was 80 F. I wore a full length 2 mm Jane and 2 mm jacket with long sleeves. That's a total of 4 mm on the torso, and I was cold. The people in shorties were freezing. The weather was cloudy and about 80 F also, so we didn't warm up much sitting in the boat between dives. I was really glad to have my own suit with me. The two piece is nice, 'cause if you get too warm, you can dive without the jacket, or just unzip the jacket for more water to flow through. I'm only 120 lbs, and have very little fat, and not much muscle either, so I get cold fast. My husband is the opposite - lots of muscle and fat, but he was happy to wear his 3/2 full piece. Have a great trip!

Ummm....hope I won't feel too silly for asking...but I'm not sure what people mean when they refer to a 3/2 suit. Is it 3mm thick in part of it and 2mm thick in other areas? Is it a two-piece full suit (like a sleevless Jane/John with a long sleeve shorty jacket over it)?

...thanks from a novice who hasn't bought her own gear (and who has only experienced diving in two extremes - just a bathing suit or wearing a 7mm two-piece full suit (14mm on the torso!)).

Jazzy

My shorty wetsuit is a 3/2, i.e., 3mm torso, 2mm arms and (abbreviated) legs.

The notion generalizes to jumpsuits.

You may also see 5/3 and other combos.

3/2

Newhampster explained it. The suit my husband wore was a full-length suit, with long sleeves (as well as legs). The torso is 3 mm and various bits, like arms and legs, are 2 mm.

The advantage to combinations like this are more warmth in the torso, but better mobility (and comfort) in the arms and legs because the suit is not as thick.

He reports that he was "toasty warm" with his full suit on in Belize. But I think he would be "toasty warm" naked on the tundra.

Hope this helps, and good luck in finding a suit. :)

Originally posted by stingray3
Oh come on jbd don't feed us with that bull**it 45 to 50 degree water in a 3/2 full wetsuit, ye right! How long do you stay and dive for 2 minutes! unless you a 400lbs beached whale then you'll freeze your ass off in a 3/2. You are problibly one of these dives who always talks about how much air they have after a dive too ah!

Stingray,

That's a little strong, don't you think? I personally witnessed an instructor wear no hood and no gloves in 39 degree water for 45 minutes, and was not cold. He was more fit than most people (ie not 400 lb whale).

Howdy,

I dive in the Carribbean, most of my dives have been between high 70's and low 80's....I wear a 2mm shortie, I've done a few with just a swim suit before buying my shortie. I was on the cool side without the suit (but not uncomfortable) I feel very comfortable with my shortie on.

Truly, I tend toward being warm natured.

Good Luck figuring out what works for you!:D

I live in upstate NY and do most of my diving in cold (~ 42 degree) water, and I wear a 7mm farmer john and a 7mm shorty jacket, which is fine for me.

When I dive the Hudson in summer, I find that the water is typically in the high 60's or low 70's, and I wear a 3mm NRS farmer john and some gloves. Water feels great at that temperature :)

Flyerfan, it sounds as if you'll be doing multiple dives on some days.Even if the water temp is 80f/27-28c it will still be colder than your body and you will lose heat. Earlier this year my wife and I dived in 27/28c sea water using 3mm full wetsuits and we were OK but some of the instructors/divemasters used 5mm full wetsuits. The only time they were too hot was waiting on the dive deck in the sun to jump off and before they were able to strip the suits off after the dive. They were never too hot in the water. They pointed out that although you could dive without a wetsuit for the first dive by the time you came to the third dive your core body temperature might well be low. Always best to be slightly too warm than too cold. Other advantage of full suits is the added protection from stinging critters etc.

Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom