5mm wetsuit suggestions for lean build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks-

I'm looking for a 5mm jumpsuit that fits well. I'm leaving for a trip in 2 weeks so not a lot of time to shop, and don't want to try to mess with a custom suit. I'm just shy of 6' tall, 155 lbs., 39" chest, 32" waist and 32" inseam. Most suits I try on that fit in the chest/waist leave an annoying gap in my lower back area that sloshes with water. I've tried a Medium-Tall Henderson and found it too tall. I'm ok spending decent money on a quality product (say, $400) if need be, but happy spending less of course. I'm not terribly worried about difficulty donning and doffing, though easier is certainly better. Any thoughts on the Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene, the Scubapro Everflex Steamer, or the Bare 5/4 Velocity? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Sean

If you can find a Pinnacle M-E in the ML size, I think you'll find it fits you without gaps, and they're extremely warm suits. Pinnacle tends to run on the slender side. Depending on inseam, you may need to go to the ML-Tall, but I doubt it would be necessary as I haven't found they run small lengthwise--if anything a bit the opposite.

They're not the easiest things to don/doff in 5mm thickness, but they're not horrible either. I would avoid their newer Tempo offering however (lower quality construction, plastic rather than brass zippers, and not as fully wool lined).

Look at waterproof. Great qualityandlots of sizes. Plus wrist and ankle seals for minimal water circulation.

Hi folks-

I'm looking for a 5mm jumpsuit that fits well. I'm leaving for a trip in 2 weeks so not a lot of time to shop, and don't want to try to mess with a custom suit. I'm just shy of 6' tall, 155 lbs., 39" chest, 32" waist and 32" inseam. Most suits I try on that fit in the chest/waist leave an annoying gap in my lower back area that sloshes with water. I've tried a Medium-Tall Henderson and found it too tall. I'm ok spending decent money on a quality product (say, $400) if need be, but happy spending less of course. I'm not terribly worried about difficulty donning and doffing, though easier is certainly better. Any thoughts on the Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene, the Scubapro Everflex Steamer, or the Bare 5/4 Velocity? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Sean

I'm pretty close to your built at 180cm. The best suits for our built are scubapro, pinnicle and bare.

For the henderson theroprene and Henderson H2 Titanium Men's 5mm Black/Navy Jumpsuit an M is ok as the suit is super stretchy. M for the oneflex too.

The waterproof series are on sale now but their sizing is for bigger guys and the arm area is especially large however, you can try the short tall.

You might want to take a look at the Fourth Element line. Nearly everything in their line that I have tried is tailored for an "athletic" (lean) build.

Get a two piece Farmer John suit and the water movement inside will cease. Bear makes a great suit. This way when it warms a little just use the Jacket.

Another note. Waterproof is clearing out their W1 5 mm suits. They are around 200 bucks and originally sold for almost 500. This is a steal for an excellent suit.

Hi folks-

Thanks,
Sean
Go ahead and buy the "off-the-rack" jumpsuit you described above even with the annoying gap in the lower back --and consider purchasing a wetsuit heating system (a viable & comfortable but very expensive option --doable though in two weeks before your trip). . .

Sean,

Two weeks is not a lot of time, but a good pot belly will help fill that space in the small of your back by pulling the suit material around front and snugging things up.

Given the time constraints, you'll need to:

1) find all you can eat buffets, preferably with carb heavy selections and pastries,
2) block out entire afternoons in your schedule to allow time to eat and digest in a continuous pour process while taking advantage of the all you can eat pricing,
3) finish your days with a half gallon of ice cream before bed (the perfect fat builder!), and
4) avoid all exercise!

You'll be filling out that wet suit in no time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom