5mm or 7mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Henderson 7mm years ago. Coldest water was 52 degrees and I was getting cold after a while.
Local dive shop says 5mm is fine for Ohio quarries.
In your experience how cold can a 5mm go to?

Haha. I've dived those OH quarries. If you want longer, more frequent dives, either a semi-dry or a drysuit. 5mm? Hah!

I had a Henderson 7mm years ago. Coldest water was 52 degrees and I was getting cold after a while.
Local dive shop says 5mm is fine for Ohio quarries.
In your experience how cold can a 5mm go to?

I've never been to Ohio, but here is a review I found from a divesite for Gilboa Quarry:

went scuba diving here on 8/17/2019. Average viz: 36-40ft/11-12m. Water temp: 61-65°F/16-18°C.
Went for a teaching dive with my wife. She’s only dove Caribbean and I was trying to convince her Quarries were equally - but differently - good. I failed. LoL She did not like it.

I wore a 4/3 wet suit with gloves and boots. No hood. She wore Farmer John 6.5, hood, gloves, boots and still got cold around 35-ft deep. I would guess the temperature was around 55-60 down that deep because I wasn’t really that cold.

Visibility was around 35-40 feet even though we got in the water around 1pm and there were A LOT of other divers. Will be going back.

What i'm trying to say is: it's super subjective, but if you are someone who's prone to getting cold like this person's wife who will probably never want to dive a quarry again, I see no reason not to buy the 7mm - a semi-dry or drysuit depending what you want.

The fact that it's over 30meters deep makes me think, you should probably go for the 7mil just to be safe. Heck I even dive a 7mm in the mediterranean, over time it will compress and you got yourself a nice 5mm for the holidays.

8 dives in a single day??? You go down touch bottom and come up to the surface and go down again and do it eight times?

It was a long day... one was a bounce dive iirc, the remainder were training dives with open water classes. I did 7 dives the next day. It was during the summer a few years ago, so the details have faded, but there was probably 12-14 hours of sunlight. Maybe there was a night dive, I don't recall.

I slept really well though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom