5mm or 7mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyStrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a Henderson 7mm years ago. Coldest water was 52 degrees and I was getting cold after a while.
Local dive shop says 5mm is fine for Ohio quarries.
In your experience how cold can a 5mm go to?

Depends entirely on each individual and their body composition and personal cold tolerance.

Another factors to consider is how long it will be from the time you exit the water to the time you remove the suit, can cover up, or move inside out of the elements.

Also depends how well the suit fits, does it have cuffs at the wrists, ankles, and neck that seal well against the skin to minimize water transfer in and out of the suit.

In my opinion if one is diving cold enough water on a regular basis that they are thinking about a 7mm wet suit then I would highly recommend looking at purchasing a semidry instead.

-Z

5mm for some Ohio quarries is ok. From the end of June until Sept. For others, if you want to go below 40 feet 7mm at a minimum. Below 50 feet? Drysuit.
I dive dry in them until about the middle of May depending on the weather in the preceding months. Circleville warms up pretty quick but you won't get deeper than 20 feet in most of it.
The shop says 5mm is ok? Based on what? How well do they know you? How long of dives are you planning?
How deep do you want to go?

A lot also depends on how long you’re aiming to dive. If you only plan on doing 25 minute dives, your requirements are much different than one hour.

For me? Drysuit. Given the affordability of seaskin’s neoprene drysuits, I don’t think it’s worthwhile to buy a wetsuit thicker than 5 mm. I only use a 3 mm wetsuit and my drysuit now. Where others would use a 5 mm, I would rather just make sure I won’t be cold and dive dry.

I choose to make the leap to drysuit instead of using a 7mm. Covers the temperature range of 5mm, 7mm, and colder. Redundant buoyancy as well. The obvious drawback is cost, but buying used helps mitigate that.

FWIW, cold tolerance tends to lessen with age. If you were getting cold with a 7mm before and plan on similar (or deeper/longer/colder) dives...

5mm for some Ohio quarries is ok. From the end of June until Sept. For others, if you want to go below 40 feet 7mm at a minimum. Below 50 feet? Drysuit.
I dive dry in them until about the middle of May depending on the weather in the preceding months. Circleville warms up pretty quick but you won't get deeper than 20 feet in most of it.
The shop says 5mm is ok? Based on what? How well do they know you? How long of dives are you planning?
How deep do you want to go?

This is the best advice ^^^

I'd get a semidry or a drysuit.

I feel like a drysuit opens up so many avenues if you want...longer dives, redundant buoyancy, is adaptable to different temperature waters with different undergarments.

I have a 7mm... I can't remember the last time I had it on.

The other question to ask yourself is how many dives you'll be making. We usually train at 62F, with students in 7mm suits. Most of them are fine, but they are only doing 3 dives a day. Any more than that is kind of torturous, but I can do 8 dives with a dry suit.

The warmer you are, the more you can dive.

I can do 8 dives with a dry suit

8 dives in a single day??? You go down touch bottom and come up to the surface and go down again and do it eight times?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom