Info 5406 running well what next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the good separator. The top of the bad one doesn’t show the seam.
Seam? what seam I can't see no seam. I'm still blinded by the colour. For a moment I thought we were at some Hindu temple checking out our chakras.

Interestingly you can see a slight difference in the shade of the bling bling gold anodising this tells you the barrel is made from7075-T6 Aluminium while the cap is from a different lower grade 6000 series Aluminium.
The second give away to check would be if its 5000psi its a different shade of anodising while for 6000 psi working pressure both cap and barrel are the same shade. Subtle as a brick I know but it saves doing a PMI check on these independent Frankenstein build compressor packages.

Wow! This is great information, thank you for the information. I will look into changing the straps and remove the scrap of plywood from behind the tower. I have not pulled off the side plate yet to look at the wiring yet. Will do that soon.

The black filter tower is good its an ASME design with a 4:1 safety factor and hard anodised.
The idiot however who used those steel pipe clamps should be shot. Remove them and hope they never used that compressor outside on a deck. Also check if it has a rubber or plastic padding behind that rusting steel clamp. Electrolysis can be hard on your wallet.
The back pressure regulator also maybe needs a new seal kit and check the back pressure setting should be around 1500 psi. Fit a non return valve on the outlet of the BPR then also a visual indicator. Make sure the visual indicator see's full bank pressure at all times.
Check that the fittings into the base of the filter are stainless and not rusting steel hydraulic fittings.

The gold coloured separator to the left of it is however something else.
Apart from looking like something you'd see with oversize tyres on the streets of downtown Dubai on a Saturday night. And for you Yanks that don't travel around much Dubai is a bit like Miami only without the drive by shootings, the rap music and real estate based on white powder products.

This separator has by the look of things a good quality Nupro or Swagelok Relief Valve
A great shame they jammed it into the soft aluminium but not as bad as using steel fittings for the inlet and outlets rust again is its downfall. Those steel bands are also a cause for concern

Now make and model is the kicker here if its an upside down separator and the base solid drilled out
and has a sintered bronze element its a good one or a shell and tube with wetted screw threads on the base its not so good. I can't see clearly in the photo. But I suspect it's a good one. Iain

View attachment 861419

A brand new 5407 pump is light years ahead of the old 5406, parts are supported, and often costs less than the maintenance of a 5406. I have a ton of 5406 carcasses if you need stuff.
Any idea what the cost of a 5407 would cost in todays money?

I also need assistance on the fill panel. Inside there are 6 open ports. Each cascade gauge input has both a CGA347 fitting and a 1/4 JIC male.
I imagine the CGA347 needs a hose to go to the tank array. The equally connected 1/4 JIC fitting goes where? Are there check valves supposed to be somewhere that are missing? I need to look at some schematics of other fill stations to figure this out.

I also need assistance on the fill panel. Inside there are 6 open ports. Each cascade gauge input has both a CGA347 fitting and a 1/4 JIC male.
I imagine the CGA347 needs a hose to go to the tank array. The equally connected 1/4 JIC fitting goes where? Are there check valves supposed to be somewhere that are missing? I need to look at some schematics of other fill stations to figure this out.
Pictures? The CGA-347 obviously goes to the cylinder, JIC male to the fill whips perhaps?

Super excited to get this high hours (12000) back in service.
12,000 hours we should have addressed this first.
If it were me I would take a small warm oil sample after or during running and have a spectrographic analysis done on it. This would indicate any bearing wear you may need to address. Over here it's relatively cheap but as per usual its not very popular due to ignorance I guess. But these tests especially if you have them advise you of the oil condition, particle count white metal content etc can save you in the long run. Iain

Pictures? The CGA-347 obviously goes to the cylinder, JIC male to the fill whips perhaps?
I tried to put two photos together so that you could see what is hidden by the frame. Also attached original photos. 458401869_531684179371715_8988315384902934730_n copy.jpg20240915_094533.jpg20240915_094600.jpg20240915_094456.jpg

Your 3 CGA nuts/nipples go to the bank bottles. You can replace them with #4 JIC fittings if you prefer.

The 2 #4 JIC fittings that point down go to your fill whips.

The regulator is an Aqua Environment 415 (probably) which can be rebuilt.

Interesting photo you posted.

Reminded me that Its always interesting what you find working on old compressors.
I found a dead bird once inside the first stage of a big water cooled Rix 3K3B-44
Well just its feathers and a bunch of squished meat. Client had a 6 inch air intake up three floors through the roof of a hyperbaric chamber system with no bird cage at the top.

So looking at your photo again I'd be concerned what with that 12 inch long metal chain at the bottom of your picture.
As it's an ex fire house compressor I would get some strong disinfectant and take a good look around.
I'm sure originally there would have been a Fire House Gimp mask attached. Just Saying. Iain

20240915_094600.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom