$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. Another question please. Do you feel a check valve at the diver's waist would be a good idea?

I thought I would post the following "schematic", in part for critique and also with the hope that it may help others working on a DIY hookah project. I hope it is readable and I apologize in advance for my chicken scratch. At some point, I may redo this on a CAD system.

Some background. 1) I started this project some time ago and my goal is to build a floating setup. I already have a Gast compressor and a Honda 6.5 HP engine along with many of the smaller components and air line. 2) I _just_ discovered this discussion and I have learned that I made an important omission in my design: the incorporation of a swivel element in the hose. I intend to research how best to do that on the supply side of the check valve.

thanks

Attachments

• hookah project - diver gear.pdf
    171.9 KB · Views: 172
@vronp no check valve needed

I think you're overthinking the body end. There is 0 need for a check valve, there aren't any in "normal" scuba setups and there is nothing that is going to be able to fight the compressor pressure anyway.

I would however consider investing in the swivel adapters from Brownie's. They're cheap, they work, and they'll save a lot of hassle and adapters.

I think you're overthinking the body end. There is 0 need for a check valve, there aren't any in "normal" scuba setups and there is nothing that is going to be able to fight the compressor pressure anyway

I would just grab the swivel adapters from Brownie's. They'll take you straight from 3/8 NPT to the quick disconnect, to the regulator without any other adapters necessary. They'll be cheaper than all of those adapters to boot

I think you're overthinking the body end. There is 0 need for a check valve, there aren't any in "normal" scuba setups and there is nothing that is going to be able to fight the compressor pressure anyway.

I would however consider investing in the swivel adapters from Brownie's. They're cheap, they work, and they'll save a lot of hassle and adapters.
I suppose that the 2nd stage will act as a check valve but I never trusted that and had a check valve at my body harness. A hose break at the surface could give you a tongue hickey.

I suppose that the 2nd stage will act as a check valve but I never trusted that and had a check valve at my body harness. A hose break at the surface could give you a tongue hickey.

the negative pressure by that would pull the valve closed, wouldn't suck your tongue in

for anyone wanting to do this, I do NOT recommend using the compressor above.

If you're gonna do it, this series of compressors uses the same twin diaphragm style compressors used in oxygen concentrators and hookah systems. More than $40 obviously, but it's the right style compressor pump vs. the other oil-less systems that get very hot and may offgas some stuff from the compressor itself. I'd dive with this with no problem after cleaning the tank/hose or go straight out of the pump, but I'm not ballsy enough to use the one listed above

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...ctric-Hot-Dog-Quiet-Air-Compressor/1000405185

Hi
Would you recommend an air compressor like this new one?
Screenshot_20210217-191440_Chrome.jpg

For anyone interested, the California Air Aluminum tank compressor is on sale right now on Amazon. Normally 193, now 155.
California Air Tools 2010A Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 1.0 HP 2.0-Gallon Aluminum Tank Air Compressor,Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TDNKBMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Jz96Fb1T1NVQ2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I like this one a lot. I am a complete novice on a tight budget. Most of my extra funds are going to shipping a dredge yo Nome. So anywhere I an save on diving will certainly be a huge help for me. Where would you recommend I get a hose , a stage 1 and stage 2 regulator affordably?

Back
Top Bottom