$50 Harbor Freight hookah system testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your continued help! I didn't think of the drag and the hassle factor of two lines.

I think I'm going to go with a 100' 3/8" line for the main drop (compressor to Y)... and then from the Y, I'm going to go with two 5/16 20'. I'm considering using the Brownie quick disconnects and Y... I think that's a pretty slick system.

I just have to nail down all the adapters, etc. As well as the regulators.

I feel you've helped me a ton already, but if you have anything else to interject, It'll be most appreciated!

@PetePetePete any balanced second stage will be fine, preferably adjustable. The adapters from Brownies are quite good and fairly cheap. As long as your hoses are the 3/8" NPT to deal with the adapters you'll be fine.
At $52 for the regulator hose, I'd use a standard reg hose with the appropriate NPT fittings. You'll need 3/8 down to 1/4, and a 1/4" to 3/8-24

You're a huge wealth of knowledge -- hence why you're a Technical Instructor! LOL... Yes. I'm using 3/8" drop line from AirLine... I haven't decided on where/what I'm going to use for the two 20'

My intention is in order:

Compressor
Filter
Screw in a short (sorta like a "heat line") line on the compressor side, with a Brownie QD (Let's call that BQD) on the other side of the heat line.
100' AirLine 3/8 with BQD on both ends.
BQD "Y"
20' line 5/16" with BQD on one end (BQD end goes into the Y, the other end is screwed into reg w/line. (2 of these)

I think that should do it... unless I'm missing something.

@PetePetePete Brownie's calls them QRS, but that's besides the point.

I would terminate the 20ft lines with QRS on both sides, then build a QRS to reg hose adapter and use a normal length and standard fitting regulator hose. This is SOP on the Brownies system and gives you better attachment points for the hose on a belt/harness of some variety. This is critical so you are pulling the hose with your body and there is no more strain on your mouth than you would have with a normal reg hose. You can do it without the extra QRS, but then you can't separate the regulator easily for cleaning/packing from the long hoses and you don't get a good spot for a tie off point as everything slides on hoses.

Understood. I thought about that and then got stupid (cheap) LOL... I'll what's another $44. LOL.

Thanks! I think I'm going to start ordering stuff. :)

Hmmmm.... Lookie at the new one that California is coming out with.

California Air Tools - The Largest Manufacture of Ultra Quiet, Oil-Free & Lightweight Air Compressors - CAT-1620S

Has the same high CFM with 2.0 HP pump, but smaller tank (so smaller size to store).

What are the thoughts of this instead of this:

https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-4620AC-22060-Compressor/dp/B005SOD08M/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=california+air+tools+aluminum&qid=1592402331&sr=8-9&th=1

The bigger tank will give you a larger buffer for the compressor to cycle but more importantly for you to pull from if you need to breathe more. The pump should be enough to keep up on its own and the long hoses add buffer capacity, but the bigger the better. I wouldn't discount the new one, but would consider maybe getting that and buying a buffer tank to add into the system if you have multiple divers, are going deep, or are going to be working hard on the dive

Thank you. I'm flip-flopping like crazy on this. Part of me loves the idea of a floating unit (Brownie style)... and part of me is perfectly content with a 100' hose to explore the area around the boat.

I can build what I want with 2 (100') hoses, nice QDS and that bigger compressor with Cressi XS regs, etc. for under $800. Otherwise I'm at $2500 for the Brownie. I dunno.

P.S. That "new" compressor is steel tank, not alum. I want alum. Back to yours.

Next up for my lesson:

Teach me about the connection and configuration of the belt to the second stage.

Meaning... we have the hose coming from the compressor (assuming a direct 100' drop from compressor). Then we have a QRS that goes to the Cressi Octopus XS. My understanding is that we want to connect the reg. to the belt so that you aren't pulling on 100'+ of hose with your mouth. LOL.

What should I be looking for?

:) Pete

Back
Top Bottom