5/31-8/13/09-Trip Report: Budget Diving Adventure in SE Asia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy, I'll have to catch up on this thread when I get back from Wreck Alley next week. You go girl! And Sam, you didn't tell me you were into threesomes!

Quick update - more later.

Just back from Tulamben Bali. It was fantastic! 11 dives in 3.25 days :D! Found a great partner just as hungry for diving. This site is home for me - where I learned to dive 3 years ago but this time ditched the guides :wink:! What a great place to learn to dive, calm warm water and tons to see: sharks, humphead parrot fish, spanish dancer, found my first ghost pipe fish, etc, etc, etc! 60+ ft vis - it was beautiful! After all this diving the site seemed so simple compared to when I was learning.

So much fun - night and sunrise dives on the Tulamben wreck! Serya muck diving is amazing and we also discovered our own mystery location!!

I will post some pics in the next few days but didn't take any under the water. This is a very popular dive in spot in Bali and photographed constantly so just google "Tulamben Liberty Wreck Bali" and check it out!

This is the cheapest amazing diving ever! $6 tank refills with multiple dives & $10 boat/car rides to other dive sites & $8 rooms! Upgrade to AC/hotwater for $22.

Tired now and hungry - but will post details/pictures later!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're still having an awesome trip. (By the way, I think it's spelled "Tulamben.") We look forward to more photos soon. Have fun!

Thanks! I think you are right about the spelling! Sometimes it's hard to keep track of all these places :wink:!

So here is a bit more detail about cheap diving in Tulamben! Puri Madha "Resort" is perhaps the only budget option on the coast and is situated directly off the wreck. Small black rocks rolling in the waves and swaying coconut trees relax guests into a peaceful bliss. Ocean side bungalows have been remodeled in the past few years and offer AC/Hot Water for a bit more $. But basic rooms with cold shower and porch run $8 per night which includes breakfast - and if you dive multiple times tank fees should be around $6 - friendly bargaining might get ya a better price! Off season might be cheaper! Puri Madha is the oldest resort there and has perhaps seen better days - but you leave the hustle of normal resorts way behind in this tranquil spot. Bring a partner if you can - manage your own gear and tanks & dive at your leisure.

Or hire a guide for a very reasonable price (you will find better much better rental gear at the dive shop on the left where the dirt road which leads down to Puri Madha turns off the blacktop).

Along with exploring the wreck, you can rent the local boats/boat man for $10 per dive to visit muck diving in Serya and sites like Alamanda - where we saw some nice 6+ ft black tip sharks & lots of coral. Or you can go by car for shore diving in Serya for around $12. You will definitely find cheaper and more diverse food in town than at the resorts.

There is tons to see on the wreck - keep an eye out for scorpion fish. My favorite dive times are at dawn and dusk when the hoards of day-tripper divers paying high fees are not in the water. Also sometimes you can catch a dive at noon when the divers are busy with lunch ;-). The drop off is nice around 3pm -try a shallow dive on the wall to conserve air then swim all the way back to Puri Madha through the coral garden - it took us 100 minutes ;-).

From Tulamben you can day trip - I have heard daily car rental on Bali is only $15 (If you're brave and don't mind dogging motorcycles - stop by AAA for an international license before leaving home)

My guess is that you can find plenty of new diving all along the north coast ;-). Have fun and please tell the Puri Madha gang Kathy from the US sent ya - they will smile!

Will post top side pics once I edit - but again just use google to see the diving ;-).

Last edited:
Kathy,

I'm counting the days that your honeymoon ends over there in paradise, I'm so jealous but seriously happy for you... Okay Aug 15th and counting...

In the meantime I dove Monterey last Sat and I'm diving again tomorrow Monterey and then again the following Saturday for the official MAG on the Monterey express...

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for drysuit diving... LOL...

MG

Kathy,I'm counting the days that your honeymoon ends over there in paradise, I'm so jealous but seriously happy for you... Okay Aug 15th and counting...In the meantime I dove Monterey last Sat and I'm diving again tomorrow Monterey and then again the following Saturday for the official MAG on the Monterey express...That's one small step for man, one giant leap for drysuit diving... LOL...
MG

Ha ha - good for you Mike! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Hard to believe I will be back in the US in less than 11 days, but the trip is not over as the most adventurous and perhaps the most awesome part is yet to come!

In a few days I fly to the final dive destination: Palau Wen, an island just off the tip of Sumatra Banda Ache. I have heard it's beauty rivals Komodo and Raja Ampat!! But few divers visit because of the perceived top side safety risk - which many lonely planet travelers claim is unwarranted. This is one site I am REALLY looking forward to!

Then back to join you for dry suit diving & lots more training! Are we on for some easy Monterey diving on the 15th or 16th? :D

Humm -- dry suit learning curb again?? - - This will be interesting ;-).

Safe travels, Kathy. Palau is on the top of my to dive wish list, you lucky girl.

Here are a few pictures from Kuta Lombok - not much diving but certainly it is beautiful!

1beachline.jpg

1coastline.jpg

Kuta is a magnet for surfers not divers, however, it is a very peaceful spot for a few days of R&R.

Just rent a motorcycle and start exploring little tracks and roads that lead to paradise:

1bikeonbeach.jpg

1coastline.jpg

Little fishing villages and laughing children:

1girlsonbeach.jpg

1buffalo.jpg

Transportation is a bit more traditional on Lombok than in bali:

1horsecartonroad.jpg

1horseonlittleroad.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom