5/31-8/13/09-Trip Report: Budget Diving Adventure in SE Asia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Everybody!

Thanks for dropping in! I am posting this informal travel log/trip report for friends or others that are curious about diving in SE Asia! I have made very few plans, so the story will unfold along the road ;-).

Stay tuned & enjoy! And please feel free to post! I'd love to hear from you during my 11 week budget solo dive journey through the Philippines and Indonesia!

Have a great summer everyone!

5/31 Flew forever passed the time line (12+ hours) In an airport in Seoul So Korea where lots of people are wearing face masks to hide from swine flu --Not many Americans are left in the pack. Soon to hit Singapore for a quick layover then on to Manila Philippines! After 3 days in transit - diving on Tuesday - I hope!

6/1 Exhausted-- but finally in Manila Philippines! Drive by hi from some disco like gaming black leather, red light, black fake marble tile floor, internet cafe, in the Philippines. I feel like a brothel. Girly boys everywhere, street girls making offers non-stop and lots of guns guarding reputable looking places. So glad to fly to the islands in a few hours. Ahh it's going to feel so good to dive a wetsuit without gloves!

6/5 So glad to leave Manila behind - Apo island is Paradise!

apoboat.jpg

apobeachandboats.jpg

aposunset.jpg

It is a beautiful remote island with two nice places to stay. We are staying at the Liberty Lodge. Amazing warm water, ocean front room, roll out of bed plop in the water 20ft away - insane biodiversity & 3 dives a day! The food is decent but electricity is limited & cold showers. I don't mind though :D!

Came with no expectation so am delighted at everything except the annoying DMs that want to babysit - I might just have to take one out if they keep assembling my new gear! I do miss independent shore diving in Lobos & believe it or not I miss the challenges of my drysuit learning curb, my new California dive buddies and the kelp forests.

But it is sooo fun to fly over the reefs reefs - "Coconut" is a fantastic really fast drift dive through aqua water that feels more like flying than diving in my new bp/w.

apowithboatdivegear.jpg

gettingintoboatapo.jpg

We are diving off small traditional pontoon boats. Many Apo Island locals live in traditional coconut tree huts with dirt floors and cook over outdoor fires sharing communal showers.The island has been established as a preserve for years and the locals proudly protect both the ocean Sanctuary & turtle sanctuary on land! 60-100ft vis. Some of the nicest soft coral I have ever seen & many colorful tropical fish -- the beauty is almost overwhelming.. Did 11 dives in 4 days and am now heading to another site ;-). Life is good! Sorry no underwater pics yet just getting use to the gear & warming up.

Tomorrow is an off day local village weddings & parties. Small bamboo huts set in a jungle & lots of dancing!! The Philippino island people are very hospitable. Spent the last few days sharing local food. They definitely eat some interesting stuff but the best part was fish caught just 1 hour before grilled over coconut husks. YUMM!

apodrumming.jpg

Village band

apogirls.jpg

Village girls

apodiveguide.jpg
Dive guide

Last edited:
6/7 Its 11:30am on Monday here. Still jet lagged a bit so waking up early - caught a 5:30am boat off the island - a small homemade thing with lots of spray & salt crystallized on my face in a dusty powder. Will get to Pangaloo island (Alona Beach) with plenty of time to set up dives for tomorrow.

ferrytoalonabeach.jpg

6/10 It is beautiful in Alona Beach much more touristic than Apo, lots of resorts, lots of options & great food.

alonabeachshot.jpg

Staying in small rooms at Bohol Resort diving with a great shop called Sea Explorers.

seexplorersboat.jpg

The local house reef is ok but not exciting. I did finally get to see the elusive Mandarin Fish - tiny brilliant shy creatures :D! Dove Balicasag Island today which was very nice. Deep blue water, a steep wall, nice coral, beautiful tropical fish everywhere and an impressive school of barracuda, a ghost pipefish, lots of frog fish, etc, etc, etc. Booked unlimited diving for 3 days right this second after 4 - 60-75 minute dives yesterday and 3 more today feeling a bit blissfully waterlogged and passed on a night dive ;-)! Sorry still not taking underwater pictures. But they will come soon now that I am much more comfortable with my gear!

In a few days I fly north then head to some scuba show in Manila to meet the PI DIR gang & hopefully hook up for some dives & underwater tips -- we'll see where the story goes from there. Been offered a place to stay at a very cool dive site just a few hours south of Manila for $3 a night & free tanks. But My Indo visa starts on the 16th of June. Life is filled with tough decisions ;-).

Just before the trip I switched from a rec set up to a DIR setup. I had no idea what I was missing! The gear is so sensitive, and performs well beyond my expectation. I am truly amazed & loving it. It;s almost as though I do not have any gear on but absolutely everything I need is easily within reach. With luck -- will learn some new technique in the next few weeks that will make the gear function even better!! I have to admit those DIR people really know how to streamline gear! Today watched others with lots of things jangling from them in the water. I am sooo streamlined! Thanks all who helped with the new gear!!! I am totally impressed with everything including the hose config & love every piece of it! Even the backup Salvo Rat JR lights work great as primaries for night diving in tropical water & I love have them available during the day. Just would really love to learn to optimize the gear in this environment hopefully some instruction will help.

Last edited:
kathydee, Thanks for these updates. I look forward to reading more soon. Post some photos if you have a chance. Have a great trip!

Great report, and keep it coming.

For some reason, I think that your summer is going to be a little more impressive than the rest of us.

Unbelievably jealous...

I lived an Angeles City (about an hour from Manila) while stationed at Clark Air Base (RIP) from 83-86. Did some "local" snorkeling but now beat myself mercilessly every time I think about how I could have been diving.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Be safe.

I'm really jealous too but at least I can dive warm, tropical places vicariously through you...please keep it coming. :popcorn:

Definitely be safe!

:worthless:

:D

Ok will post some pics soon:D. My Canon Rebel does not have an underwater casing and I only have an old powershot for underwater so sorry the underwater pictures are only for memories and not that great but will post what I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom