5/31-8/13/09-Trip Report: Budget Diving Adventure in SE Asia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arriving in Gapang - was met by a small village and little "resort" nestled in the lush remote jungle.

beachcafes.jpg

beachboat.jpg

junglebeach.jpg

Local muslim families
muslimgal.jpg

And a very basic dive boat (BTW - they did add a few more motors before dives)

diveboat-1.jpg

The coast line was quite remote and beautiful:
palmtree.jpg

sumatrabeach-1.jpg

M00334791.jpg

100_1702.jpg

Last edited:
As I said before - lots of the diving in this place was deco diving. It seemed single tank air dives down to 140-155 ft were the norm - which given the closest chamber was something like 14 hours away & there was very limited surface boat coverage & unpredictable currents - didn't sit well with me so after a few boat dives I stuck with the shallower, safter muck dives :D!

Met a fantastic vetran Swiss CMAST diver and we partnered for 60-130 minute critter spotting dives in the shallows which were fun! Max just sent me a bunch of pictures & said I can post some here!

100_1703.jpg

Here are some of the deeper, more dramatic dive pictures. Often down at depths of 125-145ft the sea fans and amazing canyons were beautiful - I only snuck a peek from around 100ft - but it was truly amazing.

M0032941.jpg

M0032946.jpg

M0033851.jpg

Last edited:
It turned out you don't need to dive to 145 ft in Pulau Weh to see beauty. $7 tanks and 30ft dives scores you plenty of underwater entertainment :D. Vis on the house reef varied from 30-80ft depending on tide and waves.

Check out these critters - this nudi is laying eggs!

M0034053.jpg

A stone fish
M0033943.jpg

I was told that this shrimp is quite rare - not sure what kind? Anyone know? -
M00338241.jpg

Here is one of wisnu's friends - yes I said hi ;-)
M0033793.jpg

M00337831.jpg

M0033736.jpg

A ghost pipe fish
M00336281.jpg

M0033576.jpg

M0033521_bearbeitet-1.jpg

M00334362.jpg

M0033428.jpg

M0033272.jpg

I already miss the frog fish ;-)

M00332491.jpg

Wow. Just read the whole thread in one sitting (work has been slow) and I am just amazed.
You're sense of adventure is envious!

Thanks pacificgal! Hope to see you around MoCal!

...go dive

Thanks Ben but I not sure you have a dry suit that would fit me - good news is that everything should be back for diving next weekend!

Hey Ben,

Great news! All the pieces came back together & tomorrow FINALLY I get to dive our local waters. Quite strange to get back into the drysuit today, but I am so excited to be back with my buddies :)!

And really psyched to learn how to use all this sporty gear better - FINALLY! :D:D

Kathy...

You are going into the Do.. It ..Rong Forum?

LOL!

:rofl3::rofl3:Jim what are you doing lurking in there. Be careful, the enthusiam is contageous :D :rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom