40m without deep specialty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What depth does the PADI deep diver specialty take a diver to? Really down to 40m? If you aren't supposed to dive deeper than 30m without it then there are many DMs and Instructors going deeper than 30m who according to PADI rules shouldn't be surely..?
I don't personally think it is a problem, just that I can never seem to pin down what PADI's guidelines are... they are so ambiguous.

130ft

Wild guess, by experience they probably mean diving to the actual depth :D
Yeah, but in what fashion and how many times? And by the deep specialty course standards, Id only need to dive to 61ft to get the experience too, wont I? :popcorn:

I would probably say as many dives as necessary to get comfortable with the depth. I think I made at least 10 dives to 80 range before moving to 80-100 and before moving to 80 ft we did at least 20 dives to 60. At that point I felt more comfortable with the setup and my skills. I moved to 130 range only after total of 100 dives and getting a good light as diving that deep w/o a good light is pointless here - it's very dark. So I would say one has to apply common sense to determine where their level of comfort is and whether their equipment is adequate and whether they can handle the problems if anything comes up. I think those guidelines they give in the manual should be looked at as guidelines , no more. Some people are slower or conservative some are faster. :) I personally see no point of getting deep unless there is something to see there (like a wreck) Here the wrecks laying at that level will require good lighting and good equipment as the water is cold (I believe the same applies to Norway). Some manual cannot cover all possible scenarios. One has to adapt to the conditions.

Because you only need 20 dives to start (but 60 to get certified), first aid course done in the last 2 years and to be a rescue diver. To become a rescue diver you only have to be advanced ow which is composed of 5 adventures which are not even specialities... but they let you go deeper after that. So you may not know much about diving, you may not have enough experience but you can be a DM and lead other divers. But I guess you already knew that...

A testament to PADI's excellence. :)

To the OP,

I'm aware you're a PADI DM and as long as you are, I understand that you need to care about your relationship with the organization. As a diver however, why would anyone care about what PADI thinks?

Diving certification has two main functions. First it provides the diver with a body of knowledge that's demonstrable to another (the C-card that "allows you" to rent equipment and go on charters).

The second function has to do with personal knowledge. No one is going to ask you for a night diving, boat diving or equipment specialty. The purpose of these programs is solely to transfer knowledge and hopefully promote safe diving. People take these courses not because it's the only way to gain this knowledge, but usually because it's more readily available and more convenient.

An experienced Instructor is often the easiest access to many aspects of diver training. Just because an Instructor has a card however, is no guarantee that s/he is a good fit for you. Teaching styles vary and quite frankly there are Instructors who I wouldn't certify as divers. It sincerely pains me to say this, but it's true.

Continue to read and research. Gain experience through doing. Depth will come naturally in-time. Enjoy the blessing...

Wayne

To the OP:

I would second what DCBC said. Here is what I think of as a checklist:

a) Am I completely prepared to do this dive plan? Depth is one element of the dive but so are the conditions (water temp, viz, current, surface swells, surf, anticipated workload, entry/exit, etc.). Prepared means in all ways: equipment, experience/training, physically and mentally. My guidance isn't what a page in the PADI manual says -- it is what can I do safely.
b) Are there any local laws that prevent me from doing my dive plan? (Where I dive, no).
c) IF I am diving with a charter or guide, are they OK with my plan? (I rarely dive with a charter or guide, so not really an issue).
d) Will my dive plan mean that I will not be covered by my insurance on that dive? (Not an issue for me as I am covered at any depth).
e) IF I am a PADI pro, and diving in that capacity, I will follow "the rules" because of liability issues. (Does not apply to me).
f) IF I am a PADI pro, and diving recreational with a buddy or group, I will follow "the rules" because of liability issues. (Does not apply to me).

So, for me, it all comes down to (a)...

First off, I think Instructors leading students with assisting DM to 40m is no problem as long as the dives are those a prudent instructor would lead. :D

Other than Jr. Open Water Divers and Scuba Divers I don't think the Agency has a standards problem with guides exceeding the recommended depths. I believe the insurance companies and lawyers are where these operator policies come from; and then they hide behind the Agencies recommendations.

As a OW diver you are certified to make recreational dives. The recommendations help you make smart decisions.

Yes, it is technically possible to become PADI AOW diver with just 9 total dives (only one mandatory deeper than 60')and start DM with just 20 total dives (only one mandatory deeper than 60') but the requirement to become DM includes "proof of 60 logged dives documenting experience in deep diving, night diving and underwater navigation." I take this to mean the Instructor is responsible to make sure all the required deep diving information has been understood and the necessary deep dives are logged. Only a dishonest person would accept the DM rating if they don't have deep diving experience!

Pretty much every agency has certified divers/DMs/Instructors who faked log books pages & worse.

If you want to go below 130' then do it if you feel you have the skills and equipment. Whether or not you have a deep cert specialty wouldn't sway me much one way or the other.

I'd just pass on one piece of advice that John Chatterton gave in a seminar that I thought was pretty solid: nobody has any business diving deeper than they can swim to the surface on one breath of air without a redundant gas supply.

Not many people can do a CESA from 40 metres. Best to carry a pony. Or doubles.

Not to poke at you with a stick... I know some CMAS agencies who required CESA drills from 40m for their *** and **** certifications :wink:

Luckily they stopped doing that because those drills really were knife edge dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom