4 hydros; NO refill...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had a dive shop almost decline filling my tanks because they were close to the 20 year mark. He said after the next hydro they would not because the tanks are 20 years old. All my tanks are current (and in good shape) with hydro and VIP. (They need more wear from diving but the day job, and the wife...) In as much as a shop can decline to do whatever they want, I've never heard this then again, I usually go back to the same shop that does all my service and my tanks are just now turning twenty. I was a few hours away in a different area diving when this happened.

Had a dive shop almost decline filling my tanks because they were close to the 20 year mark. He said after the next hydro they would not because the tanks are 20 years old. All my tanks are current (and in good shape) with hydro and VIP. (They need more wear from diving but the day job, and the wife...) In as much as a shop can decline to do whatever they want, I've never heard this then again, I usually go back to the same shop that does all my service and my tanks are just now turning twenty. I was a few hours away in a different area diving when this happened.

:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be hilarious.

Change shops

Ask the shop what is wrong with 20 year old tanks? They will last over 100 years and still be fundtional. If they give you "they are no longer safe" pitch, ask if they can provide any documentation to back the claims.
It is there shop, there rules. You can make it your rule to shop at other shops.

Yea, people have their reasons for doing things and I do remember the deal with Luxfer tanks a few years back so did not want to be too quick to judge. We were filling up before heading out. I'll probably ask a few more questions if I go back. Maybe they had a bad experience.. Main thing is I'm due for hydro on all three bottles here soon, if this is going to be a thing at more shops then I'm going to fall back and regroup...

Yea, people have their reasons for doing things and I do remember the deal with Luxfer tanks a few years back so did not want to be too quick to judge. We were filling up before heading out. I'll probably ask a few more questions if I go back. Maybe they had a bad experience.. Main thing is I'm due for hydro on all three bottles here soon, if this is going to be a thing at more shops then I'm going to fall back and regroup...

Was it the owner or just a tank monkey? Sometimes people have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to know what they are talking about.

Was it the owner or just a tank monkey? Sometimes people have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to know what they are talking about.
Makes sense. All 4 of my AL80s are close to 30 years old and continually pass yearly visuals & 5 yr. hydros.

Think it was one of the guys working there. Don't really want to be judgemental, they can do what they want and I can go where ever I want, it's no big deal if I know ahead. I will ask more questions though next chance I get. I think the owner was out the day I was there. They obviously have a reason to turn away sales and it's difficult to argue against safety.

Think it was one of the guys working there. Don't really want to be judgemental, they can do what they want and I can go where ever I want, it's no big deal if I know ahead. I will ask more questions though next chance I get. I think the owner was out the day I was there. They obviously have a reason to turn away sales and it's difficult to argue against safety.

Good luck.

Could just be a misunderstanding, or you could be looking for another shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom