4.5 hr layover in GCM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. United changed my ewr - gcm flight 1 hour earlier which caused the longer layover. Of course when we check in after arrival the first thing we will see is if they have any openings on the earlier flight.

When do you travel? They may change your flights several more times before you depart! I try not to worry about it too much until we get closer to the departure date!

I can understand that you want to get to Brac as quickly as possible to stop traveling and start relaxing, but if you are staying at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort then keep in mind that their meal plan starts with dinner on the day of arrival - so you will have to buy lunch somewhere - so it may as well be a nice lunch in a lovely setting like the GTYC.

I think that the food at the CBBR is very good, but I have always felt that the lunches are their weakest link. If we arrive at the CBBR early we usually just get a hamburger at the beach bar, because they charge a lot for an extra dining room meal and their lunch offerings are not always worth it IMO.

When do you travel? They may change your flights several more times before you depart! I try not to worry about it too much until we get closer to the departure date!

I can understand that you want to get to Brac as quickly as possible to stop traveling and start relaxing, but if you are staying at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort then keep in mind that their meal plan starts with dinner on the day of arrival - so you will have to buy lunch somewhere - so it may as well be a nice lunch in a lovely setting like the GTYC.

I think that the food at the CBBR is very good, but I have always felt that the lunches are their weakest link. If we arrive at the CBBR early we usually just get a hamburger at the beach bar, because they charge a lot for an extra dining room meal and their lunch offerings are not always worth it IMO.

Leaving Saturday!!! Last time in LCBR a few years ago we were not happy with the direction the food took. So interested to see how this compares. But really most interested to compare the diving!

Agave Grill and the Yacht Club are near the airport. Lone Star is miles away, half way up 7MB.

You can't beat the GTYC for close, easy, and nice during a layover - and did I mention that their cracked conch is great!

Last edited:
Leaving Saturday!!! Last time in LCBR a few years ago we were not happy with the direction the food took. So interested to see how this compares. But really most interested to compare the diving!

We were at the CBBR last year and at LCBR this year. I have never eaten at the Cobalt Coast resort but I've always felt that the food at CBBR was better than LCBR - especially the desserts.

When we were last at LCBR two or three years ago, we thought that the food was okay but nothing special. It was definitely much better during our recent trip there. There were some "just okay" dishes, and some very good dishes, and some really delicious items. I tried several of their soups and I was not impressed and the desserts are good but still better at CBBR, but we had a beef roast at LCBR that was fantastic and some lamb chops that were the best I've ever tasted - and the breakfasts were good. Lunches were not the greatest and we often sampled the cold cuts and cheeses to make a sandwich - but that is sometimes the case at CBBR too.

Have a great trip and tell us all about it!

Last edited:
We were at the CBBR last year and at LCBR this year. I have never eaten at the Cobalt Coast resort but I've always felt that the food at CBBR was better than LCBR - especially the desserts.

When we were last at LCBR two or three years ago, we thought that the food was okay but nothing special. It was definitely much better during our recent trip there. There were some "just okay" dishes, and some very good dishes, and some really delicious items. I tried several of their soups and I was not impressed and the desserts are good but still better at CBBR, but we had a beef roast that was fantastic and some lamb chops were the best I've ever tasted - and the breakfasts were good. Lunches were not the greatest and we often sampled the cold cuts and cheeses to make a sandwich - but that is sometimes the case at CBBR too.

Have a great trip and tell us all about it!

I think someone mentioned this here not that long ago, but we had the same feeling... LCBR food seemed to have lost that island flare. We felt it had become maybe more tuned to the American palate - overly cooked and sauced.

That may have been me. Was there both April and September and the food was OK but less impressive then say, 5 years ago. Over cooked, over seasoned, over salted. Meh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom