Grand Cayman Customs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a group of 7 traveling to Cayman Brac in June of 2023. We will be arriving on Grand Cayman, via Southwest Airlines, at 1:00, and then transferring to Cayman Airway to complete the trip to CB. How much time will we need to clear Customs and then recheck our baggage? There is a 2:45 flight but I feel like we’d be pushing it to make that flight. The next flight is at 5:10, which means hanging out in the GCM airport for 4 hrs. Looking for some thoughts.

If you are flying in on a Saturday, I would not chance it with a group of 7. I just came through customs there about an hour ago (from the 3:30pm arrival on United) and we were through in about 15 minutes even with having to fill out the immigration forms in the hall because United didn’t provide them on the plane. But keep in mind that you have to go through immigration, pick up your bags, clear customs, recheck them with cayman airways, then go back through security. Late in the day on Saturday or just about any other day of the week, 1:45 is plenty of time as long as the arriving flight is on time. But midday on a Saturday, you are going to have more flights coming in and more going out, so both immigration and security will be slower.

My own feeling is that with a group of 7, I would take the later flight because you never know what may happen and the wait is less burdensome than what happens if you miss the flight and the later flights are full.

You can always recheck your bags and catch the free shuttle to the Georgetown Yacht Club for a lunch and a drink or two before the later flight. It is about a 3-5 min ride in the shuttle last time we did it.

You can always recheck your bags and catch the free shuttle to the Georgetown Yacht Club for a lunch and a drink or two before the later flight. It is about a 3-5 min ride in the shuttle last time we did it.
Good advice. I just looked at the menu for the GYC and having lunch there sounds like a great plan.

We typically book the later flight, and if we're on time and there's space will change to the earlier flight. But that's just 2 of us, and we tend to avoid Saturday.

Aggie gave you good advice. Saturday mid day is a PITA. The lineup at Immigration can be an hour long or more. Then you have to get your bags, traverse the airport, check in at Cayman Airways and go through security. ( another significant delay ) I've tried this twice on a Saturday and was successful once. Either take the later flight and not stress your coronaries; or see if Owen Roberts Airport still offers a paid VIP service to get you through customs and immigration faster. I know they used to offer this pre covid but don't know if still available.

I used this service a few years back and was at the Cayman Airways desk 20 minutes after arrival, leaving adequate time to check in and go through security. Georgetown Yacht Club is a pretty good suggestion as well.

By the way, if you and your group have not been to the Brac before, you are going to love it.

I just looked at the Cayman Airport Authority website and "Meet and Greet Service" is still offered.

So you have an hour and forty five minutes. I have not timed how long it takes. Sometimes getting through customs takes some time because if several planes come in at the same time. But usually, that is not a big problem because it takes time for the luggage to get in. Usually, I get through customs before the luggage hits the carousel.

The next thing you have to do is collect your luggage and get it down to the Cayman Air desk to check your luggage in and get your tickets. That usually does not take too long.

And then you have to get through security.

Usually, I am able to do all of that in less than an hour.

My wife says it takes about 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

So with luck, you should be OK. But if the powers are against you ……

If you are talking Saturday @ 1 pm, if you are not a Cayman citizen, the visitors line takes a long time.

I just looked at the Cayman Airport Authority website and "Meet and Greet Service" is still offered.
Unfortunately we are stuck with the Saturday arrival. Our AA flight is scheduled to arrive at 3:00 and we booked the 5:10 flight from Gand Cayman to Cayman Brac, so we have 2 hrs. I hope that is enough.

I am going to look at the Meet and Greet, sounds like it will expedite us through. I will have have to convince everyone that it it worth the cost. If not, I'll pay for my wife and I and everyone else can stand in line. I appreciate the recommendation on it.

Back
Top Bottom