3rd Annual Fossiling Expedition guided by Mark Renz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everybody brining dogs? Maybe I should bring Kiddo.....
On second thought.. NOT!

Packed up and as soon as Christina gets out of work around lunch we should be on our way. Hope to be there well before dusk. See you soon.

Have fun guys and gals.... without the rum tote it looks like! Still sitting at my house....
Will miss you.... think of me
Mardie

You will be missed Mardie!! :(

I have baked some rice n beans for Saturday night, also made some salsa, and granola bars. They are ugly looking, tasty, and doable for Sat. afternoon. Oh, and made some muffins too.
We will be leaving, I hope, by 2PM. Car is partially packed. Still have lots to do, though.

We're sorry to have missed it this year!

Joe and I were just looking at his armadillo scute and Kate's horse tooth we found last year. Hope you all find cool stuff and post lots of pictures. Mammoth teeth would be uber cool.

Simon - don't forget the welding gloves for firecraft! We will fire up a few marshmallows here at the house in honor of the event, and we may take a morning trip up to Crystal River as a consolation trip, but nothing beats the fellowship with you all.

Regards to all,
Steve

Have a wonderful time guys and gals! Look forward to pics and stories.

Just sampled the BBQ, pretty tasty, cars packed and I'm on the way after the grocery store stop.

OK yawl - I'm starting the mental unplug and disconnect in prep for us to head north! When you check in don't forget to mention that your with ScubaBoard! :D

Hey - Look! It's 12.57pm and I'm home, showered, unpacked..etc...

What an incredible weekend! Great times, great people, good fossiling, and I believe we've got a new camping locaion!! In fact, this new 'fitness' craze has really dampened the evening part some.. Jenny was in bed by 9.. my wife and the kids out by 9.10... everyone else but Dennis and Roxanne and myself.. it was about 10 when I called it.

Anyway, the fossiling in the river was made easy since the water was somewhat lower than normal. About 1/3rd of our first year on this trip and even lower than last year. The fossil bed was spread out nice and locations for people to stick shovels in and dig around allowed for us all to have places that weren't right on top of one another. I picked a spot behind a little island in the river. There was about 6-8" of sand on top of a spot that went cruch (good sound!) and after about an hour of dig/sifting we started hitting more of the crunching stuff and finding stuff other than a few small sharks teeth. Finds of interst for me turned out to be a nice new peice of deer antler, a camel or llama molar, and a new small megalodon that had I not shovel tapped it in the dig process it would have been whole.

OH! Moonie made the ride in my Jeep safe and sound and found his way around the river, sifters, etc., to share time with everyone including Mark Renz. I can't be sure but we may have found some Neander-moonie fossils to :D

The weekend went really well. I dont know what was up with all of us hitting the hay so early, but i also feel tired tonight!! We spent the rest of today washing clothes etc, getting sand spurs out of the dog and vacuuming out the car with all the dust that settled over the weekend. Whilst the Peace River Campground is a nice location for many things, i know we all think there are too many ATV's, mindless campers, loads of noise and this time around it was a dust bowl. Hopefully the county park will prove a much more resilient spot! We can even fossil there aside from the trip with Mark!

As for the fossiling, we went way up river with Dennis and Roxanne and found a bunch of stuff, probably unearthed half a rib cage of a dohickey that we were told is often found around there. Then we went downstream towards the boat ramp and found a load of different stuff including a mammoth tooth that we just thought was fossilized wood :). The dog enjoyed his time in the boat, in the new tent and doesnt mind the new car either. He wasnt getting so rattled with the kids or Colin's dogs by saturday night and sunday morning, which is great learning for him.

Look forward to next year, see you all soon.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom