3mm or 5mm - which is more versatile fullsuit?

What size fullsuit(s) do you own?

• I own a 3mm Fullsuit

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I own a 5mm Fullsuit

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I own both

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's really cool to see the range of responses here. Personally, I think a 3mm is worthless, save your money and just by skins. But then again I'm the guy who dives in regular swim trunks when ever I get back down to Florida or Louisiana. I think the 5mm is a much better buy for an all around suit. Though, diving in the northwest has gotten probably gotten me all off kilter. To me 70' to mid 80's is bath water.

This is really diver-specific.

Personally, I carry my 3mm full to most warm water locations on the planet with temps from 76 deg (plus a hooded vest) recently in Hawaii up to 84 deg in French Polynesia.

If I were diving consistently in 75 - 78 deg water I would probably get a 5 mm. In Southern California I use a 7 mm plus hood and gloves. Below 60 deg I'm on the golf course.:D

I believe that the best thing to do is layer your suits. You should always have full body protection at all time. I wear a skin in anything that is about 80 degrees and up. If I am doing multiple dives I would bring a short sleeve shorty for later in the day, just in case. For anything between 70-80 degrees I wear my Wetwear 3 mm jumpsuit with the long zippers in the arms and legs. If I get a little warm I just unzip the arm and leg zippers a little, and I am fine. I would rather be on the warmer side than be cold. If I am doing several days of multiple dives I would being my 3 mm short sleeve shorty and wear it over my full suit if I find I am getting cold. I also wear that combination in colder temperatures (I can wear it in water temperatures as cold as 58 degrees). I should note that my suit is made with Rubatex neoprene which dose not compress, so I am truly wearing a 3mm suit at depths up to 80 plus feet. A hood also plays a big role in warmth. I wear a 3mm short neck hood when diving 70-80 degrees and a 5mm short neck hood in anything colder.

I hope this is helpful

I have a 4/3 suit that is really nice. Most surf shops will have them.

I have a Pinnacle Marino lined 3 mil. They advertise it is as warm as a normal 5 mil and I think it is true. It is great. For those times when I want a little more warmth, I have their 3 mil core warmer. It goes under my full suit and it is equally great.

I liked that combo so much, I bought the Pinnacle Marino 5 mil and next time I am going somewhere a little cool--say Panama City in January, I am getting the Pinnacle Marino 7 mil.

The suits are a tad more expensive but well worth the extra.

I am generally not one to rave unless I am really overwhelmed. I have been overwhelmed with those Pinnacle suits.

I also have a 3mm Pinnacle merino full suit (seal) and a 3mm merino vest. This covers most of my needs here in Fl. If you add gloves and a hood or beanie, I'm warm from 68f and up. I too have been most impressed with Pinnacle and would suggest you consider them for your next wetsuit purchase. I also have wetsuits from O'neal, Henderson, and Tusa in various thicknesses. The seal is my hands down favorite.

Since you already own a 7mm, a quality 3mm, with a vest and hood, would give you the most options for your dollar. Stay warm and be safe.

I'd be happy in a skin for a week of 4 dives a day at 84F, if you were cold after 4 days I'd say you run a bit on the cold side for a CA diver. Still, a 5mm seems like a bit much and not different enough from the 7mm, you already have.

A new 3mm fullsuit is a whole different story than an old 3mm shorty that was "like a 1mm." I would go for a 3mm, and consider layering a shorty or vest over it if you need more, or maybe a hood or beanie. Layers are versatile.

I dive a 7mm in 49F here in Monterey, but got cold in Fiji. What can you do? :) Either way, I am definitely going with the 3mm. And thanks to the suggestions of people here, as well as my own experience, I am going to splurge on the Pinnacle Elastiprene Merino 3mm.

I'd be happy in a skin for a week of 4 dives a day at 84F, if you were cold after 4 days I'd say you run a bit on the cold side for a CA diver. Still, a 5mm seems like a bit much and not different enough from the 7mm, you already have.

A new 3mm fullsuit is a whole different story than an old 3mm shorty that was "like a 1mm." I would go for a 3mm, and consider layering a shorty or vest over it if you need more, or maybe a hood or beanie. Layers are versatile.

I think that you will be happy with the Seal, good choice. I was looking at it and ended up with an Xcel 5-4-3. I am always cold, to an extreme, anything under 78 is dry suit time. 80 dg's and a 3 mil is not a problem, but multiple dives and a few that are an hour long, and I need more.

adios don O

After looking over the logbook info, I found I was getting more bottom time using a 3mm suit, even when the temperatures were in the 80's. You may not feel cold, but there is something going on.

Saying there is a large percentage of heat going out through your head, the hood or beanie is equally important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom