3mm or 5mm - which is more versatile fullsuit?

What size fullsuit(s) do you own?

• I own a 3mm Fullsuit

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I own a 5mm Fullsuit

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I own both

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own several diveskins, a 3mm full suit that fits me properly, a 7mm suit ditto, and several drysuits. Here in Belize I've only once used a 3mm suit, and most of the time I use a skin or just a rashguard and shorts. In the UK I always use a drysuit, regardless of temperature and time of year. I bought and used the 7mm for a tech course in the Red Sea several years ago, I've never used it since, and I don't envisage ever using it. I'll probably sell it sometime.

On the rare occasions that a skin hasn't been quite enough here I've doubled up and worn two. Never felt the need for any more. In winter after a night dive I put on a nylon cape to keep off the wind chill on the boat road back.

This is of course totally personal, but lots of people diving here wear about the same as I do.

I have a 3mm full, but usually dive a 3mm shorty with a henderson 5/3 hyperstretch hood all the way to the high 60's. I am not cold natured, however.

Definitely the 3mm. In the Caribbean and Keys have always used 3mm and been very comfortable. Only use my 5mm in the lakes and quarries at the beginning of the season and the end to extend my diving time a little.

I dive a 3mm from about 68F up to about 81F. Just might change the gloves or add a hood if I start getting a chill. I have a hooded vest that I can add to the 3mm and take it down to the low 60's, but at that point I'll be seriously looking at a 7mm.

i'd go with the 3 mil. you can always get a vest if your core gets cold. Layering is best cause you can always take it off, or put it on. I travel to tropical with a 3 mil and a 1 mil , belieze was a 3 mil for me cause you can find deep spots. florida 3 mil for me also. 1 mil in antigua. remember a 3 mil of a strech type neopreme is not as warm as a non strech. I use a strech 3mil.

I'd suggest the 3mm unless you get cold easy. I've used a 5mm in Belize and was ok but I've also dived there in a 3mm. I've used a 3mm in the mid 70s and been ok, but then I don't get cold as quickly as others do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom