3000psi on 1st stage, 3442 on steel tank. Is this gonna work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrunner

Registered
Reaction score
I've a new Aqualung Legend Regulator. On my 1st stage it is stamped 3000 psi. I'm planning on purchasing a HP steel tank. The psi is 3442, will this harm my 1st Stage? Thanks for any help!

reefrunner:
I've a new Aqualung Legend Regulator. On my 1st stage it is stamped 3000 psi. I'm planning on purchasing a HP steel tank. The psi is 3442, will this harm my 1st Stage? Thanks for any help!

You already know the anwer.

You have a 3000 PSI rated yoke and you are asking if you can put it on a tank holding 3442 PSI.

It is similar to putting 4000 psi of air in your 3442 psi tank.

reefrunner:

High pressure tanks all of din valves on them, thats why they can be rated usually to 3500 psi. Your legend's rating of 3000 psi is because of the yoke. To use the high pressure tanks you will need to convert your reg over to a din style connection. The din adapters are relatively cheap and easy to install, or just take it to your LDS and let them set you up. I converted over my apek and have never looked back. :eyebrow:

I think the tanks he is describing are the newer style 3442psi PST tanks that can use a yoke or DIN reg as it has a 200bar valve with a screw in insert to use with yoke. Once again your yoke equipped reg is only rated to 3000psi. As suggested your best bet would be to convert your reg over to a DIN fitting.

jonahfab:
High pressure tanks all of din valves on them, thats why they can be rated usually to 3500 psi. Your legend's rating of 3000 psi is because of the yoke. To use the high pressure tanks you will need to convert your reg over to a din style connection. The din adapters are relatively cheap and easy to install, or just take it to your LDS and let them set you up. I converted over my apek and have never looked back. :eyebrow:

What would you be looking back at? Is DIN somehow superior and it makes you a better diver? No, maybe it's just better period, and all yokes s**k. Give me a break! DIN is nice, but it's nothing to get very excited about. If you have it - great. It is a better design for really high pressures, but unecesssary if you're valve/yoke combination don't blow the o-ring (which at 3442 is probably not going to happen). Once that pressure drops to 3000, you're pretty much gauranteed to not have a problem unless your an idiot an never change out the o-ring properly and take good care of your gear. If that's the case, you're gonna have a problem no matter what you use.

Ontario Diver:
You already know the anwer.

You have a 3000 PSI rated yoke and you are asking if you can put it on a tank holding 3442 PSI.

It is similar to putting 4000 psi of air in your 3442 psi tank.

If you say so...

All yokes are rated to 3000 PSI - its a function of the o-ring seal (not the strength of the yoke). WHile not reccommended, you will more than likely get away with it. Just remember that if you "blow" the oring out, you'll have a problem that you'll ahve to deal with. More than likely, it will blow once you open the valve (but it can happen sometime later). Once the pressure has fallen below 3000 PSI, if it hasn't worked its way out, you're home free.

The issue I have with HP is the additional "wear-n-tear" it puts on any first stage. Most rec models are really not built to have continuious service at high pressures. You'll get away with it most all of the time, nbut one thing that you'll find is that over the long haul, you'll have to service you reg more frequently to keep it at top-notch performance. If you tell your reg tech that you are using HP tanks, he should be able to tell you if he can make and mods to the internal o-rings (maybe even the HP seat) to make it more reliable. Then again, maybe not depending upon his/her experience and stead-fastness to OEM rebuild kits. I do not know if all regs can be modified (really just the seals), but I'd guess so.

So go ahead and try the HP with or without the DIN valve. But think about potentially increassing the freaquency of your service intervals to keep your regs performance up.

jhelmuth:
If you say so...

All yokes are rated to 3000 PSI - its a function of the o-ring seal (not the strength of the yoke).

Not true. Some yokes are rated to 3500 psi (Oceanic for example, however DOT may have just changed that ruling). It has little to do with the oring seal.

jhelmuth:
. If you tell your reg tech that you are using HP tanks, he should be able to tell you if he can make and mods to the internal o-rings (maybe even the HP seat) to make it more reliable. .

Huh, could you please let me know what these mods are? Because as a service technician, I would really like to know what kinds of mods you are making to HP seats and/or orings to make them deal with HP better. AS far as I know, there are no such things. Certain manufacturers have changed their seat material over the years to make it more reliable when using HP.
I just dont know what you may be referring to...

LUBOLD8431:
Not true. Some yokes are rated to 3500 psi (Oceanic for example, however DOT may have just changed that ruling). It has little to do with the oring seal.

I stand corrected on the yoke rattings (see below - I think this is actually typical as I've see 200-232 bar). I'll disagree anyway (but I'd like to see the facts on it being about the "strength" of the yoke). It's what I was taught and the emperical evidence would seem to support it. I say it's the blow-out pressure of the o-ring that is more relevant. I don't beleive that 3500 PSI will cause a yoke to fail. I've see it too much and have never seen or heard of such a failure at that pressure.

PS - I've gotten this from Oceanic reg mannual:

WARNING: Maximum working pressure for an Oceanic yoke style connector is 3500 PSI (232 Bar) and for a DIN style connector is 4500 PSI (300 Bar).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom