3000psi on 1st stage, 3442 on steel tank. Is this gonna work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhelmuth:
Adding Dacor to the list of 232 Bar yokes...

Aparently Apeks and Aqualung are also rated to 232 Bar MWP for the yokes.

Maybe 232 Bar is really more of a "standard" MWP for yokes than I first thought. If true, the 3442 PST HP Steel tanks really should not be a problem for most (if not all) recreational regulators (yoke or DIN).

You do not have a problem as long as you are not expecting to put more than 3000 PSI in the tank. How much pressure do you really expect that narrow, thin strap of metal that makes up the yoke to hold anyway? Bottome line, it does not matter what will fail first, the yoke or the o-ring. It exceeds the rated capacity of the yoke and there fore you can expect that eventually somthing will fail.

jhelmuth:

Maybe 232 Bar is really more of a "standard" MWP for yokes than I first thought. If true, the 3442 PST HP Steel tanks really should not be a problem for most (if not all) recreational regulators (yoke or DIN).
i just dug out one of my old Scubapro user manuals and it states their yoke set up is rated up to 232bar.

jhelmuth:

Thanks for all the tech information, i've gotten quite the education thru SB. It is stamped 3000 psi AND 232 bar on the first stage. --- Guess Aqualung is even confused.

I would recommend you still go with the DIN fitting anyway - if you're going to own a DIN/yoke valve tank, just use DIN all of the time.

Having had a yoke o-ring blow out underwater while on vacation, I'm glad I dive DIN most of the time.

Maybe you all have different experiences, but one reason I have not converted to DIN is the availability of tanks and/or fills. Let me elaborate...
[1] Rental tanks are always yoke valve. So, having paid to have the DIN connection on my reg, I'll end up paying another $50 to use a DIN-to-Yoke converter and will end up with a yoke connection. So I'm no better off there, just spending extra $ for nothing.
[2] OK - then I'll own my own tanks! Great, but I won't get to travel with them. So I'm back to #1. Even if I go to the Keys (where I can just drive down), I stand less than a 50% chance of finding some one there who will fill them (this is actual experience with one of my dive buddies when we go down to Key Largo area).

I'm not against DIN (or Yoke) - it's a higher pressure rated system if you buy the 300 bar 7-thread unit. But for me, it's not practicle unless I use it when I dive locally (not often enough to warrant it). The yoke system will not fail you if the cylinder valve has been properly maintained.

The first question I ask a dive shop/operation when calling them is...

"Do you have DIN tanks for rent?"

Even if the answer is no, I can still spend 2 minutes switching the DIN fitting on my reg to the yoke fitting (I bought Apeks yoke regs and later bought the DIN fittings, not the adapters).

There's probably more DIN tanks out there for rent than you think. Here in backwards Oz a number of stores use DIN/K convertable valves, so finding them is not a problem.

Markets work on supply and demand. Create the demand.

jhelmuth:
What would you be looking back at? Is DIN somehow superior and it makes you a better diver? No, maybe it's just better period, and all yokes s**k. Give me a break! DIN is nice, but it's nothing to get very excited about. If you have it - great. It is a better design for really high pressures, but unecesssary if you're valve/yoke combination don't blow the o-ring (which at 3442 is probably not going to happen). Once that pressure drops to 3000, you're pretty much gauranteed to not have a problem unless your an idiot an never change out the o-ring properly and take good care of your gear. If that's the case, you're gonna have a problem no matter what you use.

Someone needs to calm down, like everyone else on this board I was only stateing my preference. I don't think I made any references to being a superior diver?

jonahfab:
Someone needs to calm down, like everyone else on this board I was only stateing my preference. I don't think I made any references to being a superior diver?

I was calm. Sorry you read it that way. If I were not clam, i'd put it in big bold caps. The superior diver is an inferance that is made by many who seem to beleive that the gear makes the man. I will admit that I do hate to see claims made that don't expose the pro's and con's. Blanket statement without examining what is best suited to the need is not very intelligent.
I apologize associating you as a superior diver. In any case, you are who you are regardless of what I say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom