3 unaccounted for after a flooded magnesite mine 'Maria Concordia' dive in Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3:13 - 3:46 someone actually went into the same spot where the unconscious and lost diver exercise was supposed to be conducted and silted out the whole place; that is what the silt cloud must have looked like.

Visibility 17 hours after the accident.

Visibility 14 days after the accident.
"Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again."

Do you have any alternative links to the same videos?

"Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again."

Do you have any alternative links to the same videos?
If you are trying to view from France, those clips may be blocked there, but the screenshots show as much as the 15-second videos. From murky to less so.

I can't even see the screenshot. Maybe you could be so kind as to take one and post it here?
Sure. Visibility 17 hours after the accident...

1643130812527.png

Visibility 14 days after the accident...

1643130897800.png

This is not an official report (I think)

Krzysztof Starnawski and a few people made report on the accident that occurred on October 3, 2021. He was apparently the head recovery diver for this operation.

So much wrong with this... Intro cave divers should never have been put in this situation. There are minimum visibility requirements for intro cave courses to avoid exactly this accident scenario. Standards vary on whether intro students are permitted in a single file passageway or whether that would be considered a "full cave" restriction. Intro cave gas management standards were also broken with the use of stages. All of that went wrong before they even got wet.

FB is starting to light up. One respected instructor, well known in the community, said this was not the first death that happened with the deceased instructor (no info if it was his student or a dive buddy).

So much wrong with this... Intro cave divers should never have been put in this situation. There are minimum visibility requirements for intro cave courses to avoid exactly this accident scenario. Standards vary on whether intro students are permitted in a single file passageway or whether that would be considered a "full cave" restriction. Intro cave gas management standards were also broken with the use of stages. All of that went wrong before they even got wet.
I understood that the course was actually a full cave one, so it's normal that they should do something a bit more advanced.

But yes, "a bit" more advanced and going step by step, always under supervision. Despite not being full cave yet, I have the feeling that everything was wrong since the beginning, as you said.

I understood that the course was actually a full cave one, so it's normal that they should do something a bit more advanced.

But yes, "a bit" more advanced and going step by step, always under supervision. Despite not being full cave yet, I have the feeling that everything was wrong since the beginning, as you said.
Go into a mine, search for, find, and "rescue" a lost buddy is not part of any full cave course either. There are exercises to go find a lost diver off of a mainline, this is not how they are conducted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom