3 unaccounted for after a flooded magnesite mine 'Maria Concordia' dive in Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google translate:

Decision on the dismission of the investigation into the death of divers in "Maria Concordia"

On June 30, 2022 at. 11.00 at the headquarters of the District Prosecutor's Office in Wrocław, a briefing was held regarding the issuance on June 21, 2022 by the District Prosecutor's Office for Wrocław Krzyki West of a resolution on the discomition of the investigation into the exposure to the immediate danger of life or serious damage to the health of 4 divers of the students by the diving training instructor Maciej M.

The incident occurred on October 3, 2021 in the flooded adit "Maria Concordia" in Sobótka during the diving training of a group of cave divers organized by instructor Maciej M. from one of the Wroclaw diving centers.

During the dive, at a depth of 14 meters, there was a deterioration of water transparency. One student and the diving training instructor himself did not sail to the surface. The other divers undertook rescue operations on their own. After the second immersion, another student did not sail to the surface.

The judicial and medical section commissioned by the prosecutor showed that the cause of the sudden and violent death of all three divers was drowning. No lesions or injuries were found to explain death.

In the course of the investigation, a number of evidentiary activities were carried out, including witnesses participating in the training, victims in the case, participating in the rescue operation, diving equipment was secured and examined, and a team of experts from the list of the Regional Court in Gdańsk was appointed in the field of diving safety and underwater work, cave diving and hyperbaric medicine.

In the opinion of experts, the trigger of the event was the massive disintegration in this section of the corridor of the flooded adit, resulting from the unfavorable choice of the exercise site (a large number of people in one place and the geology of the place), their form (exercises at the expert level) and perhaps insufficient experience of individual cave diving members.

The investigation showed that the person responsible for the supervision of the students was instructor Maciej M. It was on him that the special obligation to take care of the trained divers and his behavior through improper organization of diving, i.e. planning complex and multi-tasking exercises that exceed the current competence of students, selecting the place of the exercise inconsistent with the rules of the mine and the standards of the IANTD (International Association of Nitroxine and Technical Divers) and making the wrong decisions during the dive, i.e. not to interrupt the training at the moment of deterioration of visibility, led to an accident, as a result of which two students and he himself- diving training instructor suffered the death.

In connection with the above, the prosecutor's office discontinued the investigation:

- on the exposure of two students to the immediate danger of loss of life or serious damage to health and, consequently, as a result of the behavior of Maciej M. diving training instructor, their death, i.e. for the act of art. 160 par. 2 kk and art. 155 kk in conjunction with art. 11 par. 2 kk. -in the death of a suspected person,

- on the exposure of another two students to the immediate danger of loss of life or serious damage to health by Maciej M. diving training instructor, i.e. for an act under art. 160 par. 2 of the Pect Law, - in the face of the death of a suspected person,

- in the case of inadvertent causing death of Maciej M, i.e. for an act under Art. 155 of the Kk- in the face of the statement that the act does not contain the signs of a prohibited act.

Back
Top Bottom