3 unaccounted for after a flooded magnesite mine 'Maria Concordia' dive in Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

News 6

'Divers went under the water four times, looking for three of their friends who had gone missing in the sunken Maria Concordia mine in Sobótka. Krzysztof Starnawski told us how the action was going.

"Underwater, in the corridor where the bodies were located, all the time we were working in a team of two with Witek Hoffmann. He is one of the best cave divers in Poland today. During the last two dives, divers from the fire brigade additionally helped us during the last portion of the dive [the shaft]. This improved the transport of the bodies to the surface"

During the operation, divers made four descents. The first to do a reconnaissance, assess the situation and, above all, the level of water siltation:

"During these operations, we had to replace the guideline, which was probably damaged in this accident. Then we also came across the body of the first diver and right next to him, the second diver."

"During the second dive, we also had to lay down special thick lines, thanks to which the bodies could be transported, because with such zero visibility we had to be sure that we would be able to return safely."

"Although the water in the main shaft of this mine can be very clear, in the side shafts it was muddy and despite the many hours between the accident and our arrival, it practically did not improve much. At the location where the divers had the accident, visibility was very poor. We conducted all activities in a very limited transparency, roughly from one meter to 20 cm. Much of the action was completely in the dark."

"Maria Concordia Mine is one of the most interesting facilities of this type in Europe. Very well prepared and run by speleologists and enthusiasts. It is really perfectly prepared for diving activities, and divers who come there to go underwater can count on professional service."'

I am wondering if the mine structure is in such dire conditions, why is it open to divers?

Just trying to understand here, I do not want to criticize anyone.

If the mine was dry it would have collapsed before now, however the hydraulic pressure of the water in the mine is supporting the structure in addition to the aging shoreing. There still is a determination of the condition of the mine, but the water changes the calulations.

If the mine was dry it would have collapsed before now, however the hydraulic pressure of the water in the mine is supporting the structure in addition to the aging shoreing. There still is a determination of the condition of the mine, but the water changes the calulations.
I’ve always figured that water inside a mine/cave would have to support it to some extent. Is it a formula of pressure? The deeper the mine the less likely it is to collapse?

I’ve always figured that water inside a mine/cave would have to support it to some extent. Is it a formula of pressure? The deeper the mine the less likely it is to collTHREAD?

I would imagine, but have no idea what it would be. Even though the overall structure might be more stable due to that support, areas may collapse because water can make some material types destabilize.

News 5

Preliminary autopsy results have been released. No mechanical trauma has been found on the bodies.

There seem to also be a small correction on facts - 6 divers were diving, 4 surfaced, 2 did not. When those two did not surface, a third diver went down to look for them and also did not surface. That to me implies the third one was not originally the party with the missing two, he just went to look for them.

Krzysztof Starnawski, one of the rescuers was conducting a training to firefighters from the area of the accident. One of the screenshots is showing a tunnel with marked 3 spots (bodies found?) - it corresponds in depth and shape to the description of the tunnel that the deceased used during fatal dive.

Investigation continues.

Attachments

• 4543C4B7-0BE0-4518-AEE9-EAACCE229DAC.jpeg
    4543C4B7-0BE0-4518-AEE9-EAACCE229DAC.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 257
  • 615F0C5C-7847-4418-B7D7-C369BDBE315E.jpeg
    615F0C5C-7847-4418-B7D7-C369BDBE315E.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 266
Did any more details came up on this one?

I was happy when I discovered that the mine I dive is dug out of solid rock. No wooden supports holding up the ceiling. Watching videos with wooden supports in other mines made me a bit nervous.
I find the large rock pillars of Piquet very reassuring as well.

Did any more details came up on this one?
News 6

This article, written a month after the tragedy, gives some additional information to what was said before:

- divers were conducting a course on how to conduct a rescue of someone who did not surface from a cave dive, a very scenario that had eventuated (???);
- there has been no geological disaster of any kind, fatalities were caused by human error;
- autopsy revealed no mechanical trauma that could cause death or loss of consciousness;
- autopsy revealed swelling of lungs which contained a white frothy substance, a finding consistent with drowning;
- additional histopathological forensics have been scheduled to check, among others, if divers did not get too cold;
- anonymous diver confirms that to dive in Concordia you have to have an appropriate qualification - it is not possible to be let dive there without it;
- there are no air pockets in the mine
- the 14m depth level needs to be re-lined; when that happens the mine will reopen for diving but no training courses will be allowed for now;

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom