3 unaccounted for after a flooded magnesite mine 'Maria Concordia' dive in Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to say thank you very much to the divers who prepared that detailed report. I know that frequently a great deal of pressure is put on such people to soften the information or even refuse to speak out of misguided “respect for the victims and their families“ or other concerns. Creating such a report and making it available requires a great deal of bravery, and I want to applaud them for it.

As a relatively new cave diver, I see many cases where laziness or complacency stops people from rigorously following the proper protocols, especially with line installation and marking. The fact that I know that I am inexperienced has kept me on the straight and narrow. But reading reports such as these clearly reminds me that it is important to follow the protocols. These have literally been created from fatal experiences of previous divers. It certainly provides me a strong impetus to keep following them, and to be courageous to speak up when someone wants to take the easy way out.

So again, thank you for your efforts. It helps to keep all of us safe.

I just wanted to say thank you very much to the divers who prepared that detailed report. I know that frequently a great deal of pressure is put on such people to soften the information or even refuse to speak out of misguided “respect for the victims and their families“ or other concerns. Creating such a report and making it available requires a great deal of bravery, and I want to applaud them for it.

As a relatively new cave diver, I see many cases where laziness or complacency stops people from rigorously following the proper protocols, especially with line installation and marking. The fact that I know that I am inexperienced has kept me on the straight and narrow. But reading reports such as these clearly reminds me that it is important to follow the protocols. These have literally been created from fatal experiences of previous divers. It certainly provides me a strong impetus to keep following them, and to be courageous to speak up when someone wants to take the easy way out.

So again, thank you for your efforts. It helps to keep all of us safe.
The main recovery diver posted these documents on his Facebook account. Here is his Facebook page if you want to message him:

Quite shocking; I was feeling very bad when reading it.

Yes, me, too.

I can’t imagine that instructor not supervising students, especially in such conditions.

Yes, me, too.

I can’t imagine that instructor not supervising students, especially in such conditions.
I was thinking in general about how the divers were feeling during the dive, including the instructor. It was a horrible situation for everyone.

But I agree with you, and I also had a bad (horrible) feeling when I first read that the instructor left the others alone.

I was thinking in general about how the divers were feeling during the dive, including the instructor. It was a horrible situation for everyone.

But I agree with you, and I also had a bad (horrible) feeling when I first read that the instructor left the others alone.
I found it a bit depressing to read the report too.

Visibility 17 hours after the accident.

Visibility 14 days after the accident.

5:15 - 5:25 the wooden frame again; clearly it is just about wide enough for one diver with a stage;
Note how loose the permanent white guideline is, with loose ends. That is 2020

6:02 - 6:35 section from the wooden plank behind the stone wall until the wooden frame again; note the white permanent guideline running through the wooden frame seems to be taut and orderly. That is 2018.
I noticed from 6:22 no white guideline visible at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom