3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mheaster:
Dive operation 'scuba-do" has website of the same name.

Very Sad to hear this news!

Dived with them when i was in key largo if its the same ones. Had no problems/issues with them at all.

... as an interesting aside... there are many who pontificat on ScubaBoard... bottom line... I don't *know* the qualifications of any of you. Yet "advise" is handed out willi-nilli... anybody thought of the "ramifications" of that? :no Yea... SOMEBODY out there is listening... and, perhaps, acting on what they choose to believe based on how its presented... maybe they validate it... maybe not.

... just a thought...

I agree completely with your whole post and I really think that this part is an excellent point! This may or may not go along with the tragic events that happened on the Grove, but I do think there is alot of info and advice here that joe schmoe divers try to give to others, "This is easy, anyone can do it" type of attitude that could be placing some divers in harms way...Yes, every diver is responsible for themselves, but I just wish there was a way on the internet to get rid of bad information or info that the wrong divers are reading......Unfortunately there is no way to do that, and alot of the info on here that may be meant for some experienced divers, gets on the screen of a newbie that thinks they can do the same thing....

Great Points JR and another perspective that hasnt been talked about yet

Wait until the facts come out. At least two were instructors and very experienced. There is much more to the story than has been published.

rscalzo:
Wait until the facts come out. At least two were instructors and very experienced. There is much more to the story than has been published.
Unlikely... do you read scubaboard much?

Boatlawyer:
My gripe with the those pushing the envelope in the name of adventure is the risk they place others in to recover their remains when things go wrong.
I'm sure there would be lots of volunteers among the technical diving community to recover the bodies. When divers have to be recovered from caves, they send in volunteer cave divers. You're right that it isn't fair for the responsibility to fall on fire or coast guard personel who are doing it professionally, but I don't think that has to be the case. I'm also not suggesting that the volunteers would think of this as a 'fun' dive, but they probably appreciate the opportunity to contribute something back to the sport using the impressive skills they have. So I don't think someone should be prevented from making their own safety decisions based on the dangers that people will "have" to go through to recover their bodies.

rscalzo:
I have to agree with this statement. I've been watching this thread and the one on TDS and ALOT of speculation is whats being thrown around at the moment.....

DeepBound:
I'm sure there would be lots of volunteers among the technical diving community to recover the bodies. When divers have to be recovered from caves, they send in volunteer cave divers. You're right that it isn't fair for the responsibility to fall on fire or coast guard personel who are doing it professionally, but I don't think that has to be the case. I'm also not suggesting that the volunteers would think of this as a 'fun' dive, but they probably appreciate the opportunity to contribute something back to the sport using the impressive skills they have. So I don't think someone should be prevented from making their own safety decisions based on the dangers that people will "have" to go through to recover their bodies.
If it were my decision the recovery would be done by a commercial diving company, the Navy, the USGC Atantic Strike Team, or some other group that is trained and equipped to conduct such a operation. This dive is nothing special (except expensive) when done with surface supplied equipment.

mrjimboalaska:
I have to agree with this statement. I've been watching this thread and the one on TDS and ALOT of speculation is whats being thrown around at the moment.....
Considering the only facts are limited to

- People died while diving a wreck (names were released in the Sun Sentinel today)

- They were deep inside the wreck - deeper inside than anyone has reportedly gone.

That's apparently it. What else can people do now but speculate?

-- BTW - everyone should stop speculating about whether or not to recover the bodies. They already did, and the bodies are at the coast guard station in Islamorada.

Knight:
Sometimes recovery can result in other deaths, I come from Netherland and know of few caves were they just had to leave a body in there for weeks till they could get the right people in there and sometimes you can't find the body, most of the time it happens with unexperienced divers who enter high level caves and do not know till they get in there that they are in big trouble.

With this accident I just really want to know if these divers had ropes to trail them back out, it would make sense for these cert. divers to do that right? well I know plenty of divers who don't do this they are so cocky or think so experienced they don't need em and sometimes I wonder how they are still alive. If you don't have ropes to trail your way back out then everyone is depending on the most skilled diver to get them back out and sometimes you have dis-agreements UW and one diver says "no we came from this way we must go out from here" while the other says "nope this is the way we came we need to go this way" and they will spend minutes trying to figure out what to do and who is right or not and then by the time they know it booom there lost, confused panic sets in, etc etc etc. I hope we get more details soon as what they find.

Always descending,
C.H.

There is a report the divers had a reel, but that it was broken. Penetrating this deep in a wreck without a working reel (or 2 or 3) is kind of asking for a problem, particularly when it isn't a wreck that you know like the back of your hand.

pir8:
Unfortunately it doesn't end. I would say you can leave a body in the Doria but not the SG.

No you can't. Bodies are not left on the Doria. About the only time that bodies aren't recovered off of any wreck (or other dive site for that matter) is when they can't locate the body after an exhaustive search.

I think there was a death on the Doria a year or so ago where the guy dropped of the wreck to the sand, and was lost, and to my knowledge wasn't recovered, but not for lack of trying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom