3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver:
I didn't read all the posts and I find it hard to blame the guy driving the boat for what people do underwater, HOWEVER if these guys were diving single 80 tanks with "stage" bottles left outside, it is quite obvious that the operator knew what they were planning on doing. If they didn't have the appropriate CERTIFICATIONS and they had no redundancy inside the wreck (other than buddies) I personally think that the operator MIGHT have some liability in this wacky country we live in.

I'd like to hope that isn't the case. Divers are responsible for diving, not boat drivers.

String:
I'd like to hope that isn't the case. Divers are responsible for diving, not boat drivers.

Only you can swim for you.
Only you can breathe for you.
Only you can think for you.

Straight out of IANTD.

I have read the entire thread to this point and would like to thank the moderators for keeping the thread on track and the posters for not needing all that much moderating.

Stephen Frink:
The men had no dive reels with them to show them the way out of the wreck. Dive reels are spools of line which are attached at the entrance to the dive. The divers let out line as they progress and, thus, are able to find their way out again.

"The divers who went in to recover the bodies said this portion of the ship has large amounts of silt built up inside," said Detective Coleman. "It doesn't take very much movement to kick that silt up and cause problems with your ability to see. Without a line to follow out, and with lots of silt in the water, it would have been virtually impossible for them to find their way out of the wreck," he said.

i don't think it's speculation to say what happened here was a loss of visibility with no guideline out. there was team separation, and none of the divers managed to make it out of the wreck before their gas ran out.

that would be my guess, anyway

wow... official news is released from key largo, and so much of the supposition and rumor ISN'T true... who would have thought? :wink:

Unfortunately, it sounds like some of our worst possible thoughts are true as well. People entered a situation that it sounds like they knew they weren't prepared for. A terrible tragedy.

howarde:
wow... official news is released from key largo, and so much of the supposition and rumor ISN'T true... who would have thought? :wink:

No one but you? Lol. Miss running away from Howard :sprint:

I don't know why there is so much "speculation" about them leaving the bodies.

They can be recovered by the right team that has the right training and coordinates the right dive plan....

Scuba_Jenny:
The only place I have ever heard of bodies being left behind is on Mt. Everest. Otherwise, for the sake of closure, the body (ies) need to be recovered. Let the pros handle it, that is what they are trained to do. This accident is really no different than what happens when a cave diver dies deep within the recesses of a cave. I recall maybe a year ago a couple cave divers having to be recovered, and the deco times of the team was upwards of 4 hrs!

Scuba Jenny, There was a recovery of cave divers down in Australia last year from a diving accident that happened I think about a year before that. The diver was so far back and so deep that it took time to get the right team formed to recover the diver. It was interesting reading what they had to go through for the recovery.

ScubaPhotoBabe... make them go with him but they panicked and pulled away. The man who survived said that they were confused as to where to exit:
It is always sad to see divers die, especially in a dark place.

But if above is true, then surely technical (wreck) divers should know better.......

Leaving stages behind, no line...... something panicked them...
In a panicked state without a line in an overhead environment.

Of course we don't know where and why the dropped stages, why no line, what their experience was.. it is all speculation at this point. One thing I do agree with though:

dave4868:
expect individuals to be responsible for themselves, rather than entitled to protection from themselves.

Dave C

mike_s:
I don't know why there is so much "speculation" about them leaving the bodies.

They can be recovered by the right team that has the right training and coordinates the right dive plan....

Scuba Jenny, There was a recovery of cave divers down in Australia last year from a diving accident that happened I think about a year before that. The diver was so far back and so deep that it took time to get the right team formed to recover the diver. It was interesting reading what they had to go through for the recovery.

They weren't speculating as to wether or not the bodies would be left at all. You'd have to go back and read. Someone had put forth a theory was all. :)

After reading this entire thread I have come to the conclusion that my Scuba Instructors have hammered into my thick head. Plan the dive and dive the plan!! I would love to someday dive the SG but if anything is outside of the dive plan call the dive. This is all basic training Knowlage!

Back
Top Bottom