3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

douglasville diver:
These divers were just like us. We all try to to do deeper, longer and more exciting dives each and every time we dive and for all you lawers out there .....well all I can say is go find a 7mi per hour rear bumper hit to collect on.
DeepBound:
No, we don't all try to do deeper longer dives every time we dive. That's a dangerous attitude that I just have to call you on.
First my prayers go out to the family and friends of those we have lost. May they rest in peace.

Deepbound;
I couldn't agree with you more!!! All this "personal best" BS gets people hurt!!! I hate the thought that this is where diving has come for so many people involved in this sport. There is just too much to go wrong at the limit and much of it is beyond the divers control.

Rick Murchison:
...These guys were trained and experienced for wreck penetration. Which makes some of the other information, like "single AL 80's," seem incomprehensible...
Well, since they were from out of the area maybe they were relying on rental tanks (can one rent steel 130s in that area of Florida?) and then just brought a few extra down as stage tanks to compensate. Just making a stab at comprehensibility. But you're right, some things just don't add up with what is known so far.

Did anyone else notice how the Sun-Sentinal article by Sofia Santana was unusual in the amount of background information provided in a lay publication? Example:

They were certified to dive wrecks and had additional training that earned each of them the title of "technical diver." Such divers are trained to go deeper than 170 feet, while regular divers usually wouldn't go deeper than 130 feet, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Technical divers fill their tanks with a mixture of gases so they can stay deeper more safely, instead of the compressed air that other divers use.

I noticed that. And the local news station got it right for once by NOT saying the one diver was low on his oxygen tank!

lots of maybes, could and perhaps in this thread unfortunately.

The SG being a diver's playground, I agree the bodies should, if possible and with limited danger, be retrieved.

I dived recently on the Empress of Ireland. There are about 600 bodies still in it. Divers penetrating it can see numerous bones and skulls. However, I compare it not to a diver's playground but to a submerged grave. Respect is the key as in any cemetary and those remains having been there for almost 100 years, I would not imagine that anyone would want to retrieve them. Some divers died on it also and I think all their bodies were recovered but i'm not 100% on that.

Many have referenced the recent climbing tragedy on Mt. Hood. We know a couple of the guys who risked their lives for DAYS to try to rescue (then recover) the climbers. The climbers had the experience, but didn't appear to do their homework prior to attempting their climb. Just because I climbed her when I was 13 years old (under ideal conditions), it doesn't mean she's a "safe" or easy mountain.

The route they picked is dangerous any time of the year, but completely insane to attempt during the winter due to avalanche, whiteouts, and fast moving storms. This was graphically illustrated when even the rescue crews couldn't get near the mountain for days due to poor weather.

Many underestimate the danger of Mt. Hood and wrecks like the Spiegel Grove, and unfortunately many have died as a result, and more will die in the future. Mt. Hood isn't a technical climb like some of the bigger mountains around, but it can kill you just as dead if you don't take it seriously and do proper planning.

I agree that if someone wants to risk their own life, fine. However, IMO they do not have the right to risk other people's lives due to their own errors. In the case of the Mt. Hood tragedy and the Spiegel Grove, lives will be risked to recover bodies.

I wish those who are doing the recovery a safe and quick conclusion to their horrible task. May they all return healthy to their friends and loved one.

My heart goes out to the friends and families of the men who died on Mt. Hood and the Spiegel Grove.

DiveMaven:
I agree that if someone wants to risk their own life, fine. However, IMO they do not have the right to risk other people's lives due to their own errors. In the case of the Mt. Hood tragedy and the Spiegel Grove, lives will be risked to recover bodies.

I wish those who are doing the recovery a safe and quick conclusion to their horrible task. May they all return healthy to their friends and loved one.
I agree with you completely. But if they want to recover the bodies with minimum risk they should go to a commercial diving outfit that will do it on a hose with comms, that is tended at the entrance to the hull and possibly at other spots. But that's big bucks and no glory.

Boatlawyer:
It is all well and good to say that people should have the right to take these risks. But should that right end at putting others in harms way to come and look for you or recover your remains? Should waivers should include "do not rescue or recover my remains" language? Inquiring minds want to know.

First, God bless those who died and my prayers go to their families.

Regarding a "do not rescue or recover waiver," I hope you're kidding.

I think such a waiver would be characteristic of a culture that is, perhaps, more complex than primitive savagery but certainly less sophisticated than an advanced civilization.

From the word I hear they were with Scuba-do (scuba-do.com) and I've not heard anything negative about that outfit. I also heard from 'friend of friends in the keys' that they did not have a reel and were only Advanced Cert'd... no wreck cert. While I most certainly feel for family and friends... 'know your limits and dive with in them!' and don't drag others along. How truly sad for them and for the sport.

RJP:
That would be unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely. I know who two of the guys are. They were experienced NJ Wreck Divers. Things can go wrong, but I rather doubt they would attempt such a dive with an AL80.

RJP, I'm still hearing single 80s with some goofball stage rig where they were trying to stash a few bottles? Did you hear anything else? Things can wrong, but when die way inside a fairly deep wreck with a single 80 on your back - you aren't going to come off as very experinced.

Everyone makes mistakes, but there's really not excuse for trying a dive like this with OW gear on.

Back
Top Bottom