3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

God bless them. My prayers go out to all involved. I have dove on the SG about 4 times in the last 4 years all with Scuba-Doo. I have seen this dive as a mild dive and I have seen it as quite a challenge. I too have been inside a wreck that silted out without a line and not know which way to go. Thank God I was given the chance to learn from my mistakes and dive again.

i heard pony bottles.. but being a newbie, i don't know the difference. sorry. Whatever the outcome of the investigation, its just unfortunate that 3 men died. And regardless of what people are going to say, the captain shouldn't be harrased for something that had nothing to do with him. I hope everyone realizes that.

JimLap:
pony bottles or stages ? there's a big difference. tds is saying they are in the pump room below the well deck. and why would an instructor allow them to even attempt this without proper procedures? and I said instructor, not the dive boat operator. It is not his responsibility to police them.

Either way, staging (when eaving it behind) any kind of bottle doesn't do you any good unless you have very good reason to believe that you will be coming back the same rout.

Like posted earlier was diving about 10-20 minutes away from this accident, from word of hear one of the guys use to do some commercial work for another company that we have ties with and he was coming back down here to do some sport/wreck diving with friends, we are trying to confirm this. Sorry to any divers who knew these guys.

Always descending,
C.H.

JimLap:
pony bottles or stages ? there's a big difference. tds is saying they are in the pump room below the well deck. and why would an instructor allow them to even attempt this without proper procedures? and I said instructor, not the dive boat operator. It is not his responsibility to police them.

Jim. The discussion on Deco Stop says they had 80cu ft stage bottles.

ScubaPhotoBabe:
My friend is the Captain and owner of the operation, and this horrific accident has nothing to do with anything he did. I just wanted to get that out there before anyone started rumors.(sorry, just a little protective)

I was with him last night and he told me what actually happened. Unfortunately for him, the news media is hounding him like crazy, and its an extremely unfortunate situation for all parties involved.(captain, friends, family members) I also spoke with one of the coast guard (a friend too) who was the first one on site, so I'll pass on what I know.

They were 4 tech divers who had dove the day before on the Spiegel. They all had experience. One of the men was pulled up by two other divers from another dive outfit. One came up, (the one who survived) and told the coast guard where he had last scene them. They had gone deep inside to the 3rd bottom level of the grove and the one who survived tried to pull them out of the room, and make them go with him but they panicked and pulled away. The man who survived said that they were confused as to where to exit, and were not sure which way to go. They didn't have a reel, which they should have. He decided to go back the way he came, and the others did not. I have a feeling that they were narked. They were about 136ft and of course, being that deep inside,it was pitch black. The survivor went up and he said that was the last he saw of them. They had placed pony bottles all over the wreck, and I believe strobes as well. The rescue team found the 2 bodies at around 2:00pm yesterday but were unable to bring them up because they were so far in. Hopefully they will be able to remove them today, especially for their families sake. I know they have the area closed off and the recovery is going on sometime today. we all hope that it goes well, considering the circumstances.

It just makes me realize how precious life is, and how careful we all should be. I've only been diving since June 06, and I can tell you this, I don't why anyone would want to try to penetrate a wreck that deep inside. I don't know many experienced divers that would want to do it either. I went on the Spiegel recently with some friends and two of them went inside. When I looked where they were going, I couldn't see the other side. I looked at my friend, and I said no. She obliged. I didn't feel comfortable. The others gave me a bit of a hard time, but I'm a new DM, and I will only dive within my limits and with what I feel comfortable with. I'm glad I'm not a follower. Just for this reason alone. I do love to dive the Spiegel and the other wrecks, but I'm happy just going around the outside and inside, as long as I can see the exit. This whole situation has really made me think. I also believe that sometimes when you have a lot of experience it might make some people too confident and comfortable and not think about the safety issues as much.

I don't know, but I'm going to learn from this, and only dive with what I feel comfortable with. Thanks for letting us know. I email JD to get this out thanks Mark

fisherdvm:
I was very disappointed when they called my dive off due to current and waves. Another boat was tied off and the divers were getting off. Now I know why they were cautious. I am glad the boat captain made the right decision.

Where were you diving? We dove the Boyton reef yesterday and the waves were wild

No, we don't all try to do deeper longer dives every time we dive. That's a dangerous attitude that I just have to call you on.
douglasville diver:
These divers were just like us. We all try to to do deeper, longer and more exciting dives each and every time we dive and for all you lawers out there .....well all I can say is go find a 7mi per hour rear bumper hit to collect on .

I just found out that one of my friends is part of the recovery team. Now I have to worry about him, even though I'm confident in his skills. He was my rescue diver teacher and is awesome.

I hope this is over soon. I just messaged him and told him to be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom