3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a workshop in November that was designed to introduce us to the skills needed to do wreck penetration. I came away from it with a profound, intense respect for the risks one takes in overhead environments. We don't have the details of what happened here, except that it sounds as though these were experienced and trained people for whom something went horribly wrong. As I was trying to do a lights-out exit in 20 feet of water, I had a tiny glimpse of what happens when the you-know-what hits the fan in the dark at depth.

Anyone contemplating such diving needs to be entirely honest with himself about what he's doing. Like Steve Donathan in Southern California, even the best trained and most experienced diver can encounter Murphy when he least expects him.

Dont know yet if it applies to this incident, just a reminder for us all.

I have often heard the phrase, "Complacency kills!", and find it all too often to be at the heart of mishaps whether on the road, in the sea or in the air.

It was very sobering the first time I read the statistics that the largest single group of accident victims among pilots were those in the (I am going from memory here) 200-300 flight hour range. It is speculated that at that experience level some of the procedures become second nature and therefore checklists and other training points are overlooked because the complacent 'I have done this a hundred times before' attitude creeps in and sometimes it bites you.

Since I started diving, I have often thought of that, and try to always maintain and even increase diligence as my experience and training levels are rising.

Willie

Awaiting more details...
Training, apparently, is no longer an issue. These guys were trained and experienced for wreck penetration.
Which makes some of the other information, like "single AL 80's," seem incomprehensible.
It appears now that ...
The laws of physics (and the hazards of wrecks) are no respectors of rank or reputation. :(
Rick

These deaths made the national TV news shows, the first scuba tragedy that I can recall recently receiving such national attention.

As a non wreck diver I would like to ask if any modifications, marks, escape, or directional markers are/should be included in ships intended to be sunk as dive sites. I would guess the initial cost is expensive to clean a ship to be used as a reef or dive site, are there any rules or should there be rules for preparing a ship that will be used for penetration, fast exits? Are the extremely dangerous areas welded shut, things like that? Does a diving expert visit the ship for approval ? Is there a difference between readying a ship as a reef vs a dive site?

I hope that no one else dies attempting to recover the bodies. It will be a tough dive for the team that is going to make the attempt. I wish them luck.

Recovery is going to be very difficult with the present sea conditions;
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=mlrf1

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY

TODAY
NORTHWEST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS AND GUSTY...DECREASING TO 15
TO 20 KNOTS THIS AFTERNOON. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF BUILDING TO 4 TO 7
FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS
ROUGH...BECOMING CHOPPY.

My friend is the Captain and owner of the operation, and this horrific accident has nothing to do with anything he did. I just wanted to get that out there before anyone started rumors.(sorry, just a little protective)

I was with him last night and he told me what actually happened. Unfortunately for him, the news media is hounding him like crazy, and its an extremely unfortunate situation for all parties involved.(captain, friends, family members) I also spoke with one of the coast guard (a friend too) who was the first one on site, so I'll pass on what I know.

They were 4 tech divers who had dove the day before on the Spiegel. They all had experience. One of the men was pulled up by two other divers from another dive outfit. One came up, (the one who survived) and told the coast guard where he had last scene them. They had gone deep inside to the 3rd bottom level of the grove and the one who survived tried to pull them out of the room, and make them go with him but they panicked and pulled away. The man who survived said that they were confused as to where to exit, and were not sure which way to go. They didn't have a reel, which they should have. He decided to go back the way he came, and the others did not. I have a feeling that they were narked. They were about 136ft and of course, being that deep inside,it was pitch black. The survivor went up and he said that was the last he saw of them. They had placed pony bottles all over the wreck, and I believe strobes as well. The rescue team found the 2 bodies at around 2:00pm yesterday but were unable to bring them up because they were so far in. Hopefully they will be able to remove them today, especially for their families sake. I know they have the area closed off and the recovery is going on sometime today. we all hope that it goes well, considering the circumstances.

It just makes me realize how precious life is, and how careful we all should be. I've only been diving since June 06, and I can tell you this, I don't why anyone would want to try to penetrate a wreck that deep inside. I don't know many experienced divers that would want to do it either. I went on the Spiegel recently with some friends and two of them went inside. When I looked where they were going, I couldn't see the other side. I looked at my friend, and I said no. She obliged. I didn't feel comfortable. The others gave me a bit of a hard time, but I'm a new DM, and I will only dive within my limits and with what I feel comfortable with. I'm glad I'm not a follower. Just for this reason alone. I do love to dive the Spiegel and the other wrecks, but I'm happy just going around the outside and inside, as long as I can see the exit. This whole situation has really made me think. I also believe that sometimes when you have a lot of experience it might make some people too confident and comfortable and not think about the safety issues as much.

I don't know, but I'm going to learn from this, and only dive with what I feel comfortable with.

My heart goes out to all of their families and friends and all parties involved.

pony bottles or stages ? there's a big difference. tds is saying they are in the pump room below the well deck. and why would an instructor allow them to even attempt this without proper procedures? and I said instructor, not the dive boat operator. It is not his responsibility to police them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom