3 Divers lost on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the point was (mute now because the recovery done) is that with proper care and funding the recovery could be accomplished with almost no risk and evidence (e.g., lost reels) could be found almost regadless of conditions without putting anyone at risk. I know knothing about who did the actual recovery. I know nothing about the Fire Department / Police Deparment / USCG capabilites in the Key Largo area, I would just say that I would not look forward to seeing most public safety personel or USCG divers involved in this sort of an operation, generally they lack the specialized skills, background and experience required.

PerroneFord:
And yet agencies institutionlize this concept, and perpetually undertrain divers. And as divers, we buy it and smile. And when a couple of agencies step out of the mold, and REALLY begin to train people they are called dogmatic and rigid. And we make fun of their methods, and their divers.
Absolutely, I could not agree more.
daniel f aleman:
Originally Posted by shakeybrainsurgeon
"Any scuba instructor who doesn't view death as unacceptable...well, it is like a flight instructor who doesn't view crashing as unacceptable. If that isn't the goal --- zero fatalities --- then there is something amiss."

This is false.
Frankly I think that this true.
daniel f aleman:
If you "smile" at what you consider mediocre instruction, that's your problem.
Unfortunately that creates a problem for all responsible instructors.

Not that any of them is looking for it, but a heartfelt thanks and a few "atta boys" should be extended to all involved in the recovery, especiallay the "techies" from the upper keys. Multiple agancies and individuals were involved. A plan was put together and executed flawlessly without incident or politics.

Nice job all.

trtldvr:
Not that any of them is looking for it, but a heartfelt thanks and a few "atta boys" should be extended to all involved in the recovery, especiallay the "techies" from the upper keys. Multiple agancies and individuals were involved. A plan was put together and executed flawlessly without incident or politics.

Nice job all.
That's good to hear, I'd be very interested in the details. It will obliviously serve as a good model to study for the future.

Yeah, I want the thorough investigation report to come out first.

Never know if foul play was involved, like someone intentionally cutting any lines, if they had em, or someone playing hide and go seak with the stage bottles, etc.

That crap ain't funny if they were experienced techies and one of their buds stayed outside the wreck as watch / safety diver. Like someone said, what good does that do? Sounds suspicious. What were they doing? Robbing a convenient store with one guy keeping watch at the door for the cops? Was he keeping watch so no one would question them with sign language about going into the "off limits bowels of the ship"?

AXL72:
Yeah, I want the thorough investigation report to come out first.

Never know if foul play was involved, like someone intentionally cutting any lines, if they had em, or someone playing hide and go seak with the stage bottles, etc.

That crap ain't funny if they were experienced techies and one of their buds stayed outside the wreck as watch / safety diver. Like someone said, what good does that do? Sounds suspicious. What were they doing? Robbing a convenient store with one guy keeping watch at the door for the cops? Was he keeping watch so no one would question them with sign language about going into the "off limits bowels of the ship"?

I predict that this will end up 100 percent human error.

Any body know of a good web site to find a map of the SG that show the hole ship inside and out? Any help thanks guys and gals.....Mark

trtldvr:
The Miami Herald accounting of the recovery is pretty accurate.

Thats pretty good to know - the accounting also shows that the agencies are well trained and can handle themselves in a worse case scenerio. Thats something they should be proud of! Of course, nobody ever wants to have to use those skills in real life..

Odd thought, all instructors.. the judge/lawyer was the survivor.

tridacna:
These guys were serious divers. To answer a previously posed question, I never saw them dive without doubles. They seldom took unnecessary risks. They were all experienced tech divers. Scott had close to 5000 dives (if not more) with many trips to the Doria. (And the Spiegel Grove).

first, let me say how sorry i am that you knew these guys personally. i have lost a few friends, and believe me, it tears you apart.

unfortunately, it looks like they underestimated the Spiegel Grove. it looks like they took some shortcuts, and it came back to bite them in the butt.

if they were my friends, i'd kick them in the *** next time i meet up with them.

i am sorry, that is how i see it.

Blueskys4ever:
Murphy's Law is myth. This was 100 percent preventable.

yes...

that's what makes me so mad about this incident ... some fine people just gone, just like that ... just gone

Back
Top Bottom