3/2 Wetsuit in Aug - To Hot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have my second trip planned this yr. First was in Apr - was very comfortable with my 3/2, did 15 dives in 7 days. I'm not a cold nature person. Will this be to hot to dive in or should I be looking at just a skin. If a skin will have to purchase one before going. Like to keep myself protected. Plan on 16 dives in 8 days.

Have my second trip planned this yr. First was in Apr - was very comfortable with my 3/2, did 15 dives in 7 days. I'm not a cold nature person. Will this be to hot to dive in or should I be looking at just a skin. If a skin will have to purchase one before going. Like to keep myself protected. Plan on 16 dives in 8 days.

That's totally a personal decision based on your tolerance to chill, how many dives you will be doing, etc. You can expect the water temp in August to be in the 84 to 86 range with surface/air temps in the low to mid 90's.

A skin provides absolutely no thermal protection unless you are actually referring to a .5 or 1mm neoprene suit - but those polyester skins/rash guards are not thermal protection, solely exposure protection.

Where did you dive in April? Also Coz? I wear a bit more in the spring than in Aug, but I know one lady who has to have a dry suit there in Aug. As said, depends on you. I doubt that you'll get hot in the water in a 3; if you get hot on the boat, hold some ice on your head.

I would certainly take your 3/2, and if you also want to buy or take a skin for exposure you could try that first, as it will take up virtually no room in your luggage. However, if you wind up with cloud cover, wind on the surface interval, and/or after the first couple of days when your core temp is getting pulled down, I'll bet you will be glad you took the 3 mil.

I am going in August, and have been there in August and September in the past. I use a 0.5 mm suit and am very comfortable doing 3 dives a day.

I use a 3/2 when I dive down there (usually in Sept.) and I am quite comfy in it. I have dove in just shorts but usually get a bit chilled on the second dive.
Of course I am 5'8" @ 160lbs so I do not carry that much "bio-insulation".
YMMV

Oh, I just unzip and drop my top down during the SI, leave it all on and you will broil in that sun.

Last edited:
As others have said, tolerance for cold is a personal thing but I dive a 3/2 year round in Coz and it works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom