22 Nov. Fin Sacrifices To the Whiskey Wreck god

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mind a scrapped dive, but each of us losing 1 fin...that's much more infuriating. That sand bar is so long and shallow that you gotta walk through so much of it and the sand so mushy, it really messes your balance up. I could've done a dive in conditions like that at Pensacola Beach but not at the whiskey with that darn sandbar. I think we had a good shot if I hadn't forgotten to put my air on.:doh: Lessons learned.. we'll laugh about it later after we stop crying about replacing fins!

Gary you might want to consider boat dives to the Whiskey for out of towner's. Should this be considered an advanced dive? :) :)

I don't mind a scrapped dive, but each of us losing 1 fin...that's much more infuriating. That sand bar is so long and shallow that you gotta walk through so much of it and the sand so mushy, it really messes your balance up. I could've done a dive in conditions like that at Pensacola Beach but not at the whiskey with that darn sandbar. I think we had a good shot if I hadn't forgotten to put my air on.:doh: Lessons learned.. we'll laugh about it later after we stop crying about replacing fins!

The sandbars shift, its not usually that bad. Earlier this year it was noted that Navarre and Destin/Ft Walton beachers were having similar sandbars. The next time you hit up P'Cola Beach, it could be there too :)

You guys are gonna really have to work together as a buddy team now, what with you each having just one fin. :D

Important update. I now have THREE scubapro xlarge jet fins. Two are new and one is slightly used and fore sale. :)

Important update. I now have THREE scubapro xlarge jet fins. Two are new and one is slightly used and fore sale. :)

Hang on to the used fin for when you loose one of the NEW ones!! :)

Great story with lots of laughs :) I am so glad you are okay (clearly you were inflated while being rolled around and losing the fins). What about walking backward with the fins as soon as you touch the water? You'd be able to back kick over the gulley then walk again on the sandbar.... Just a thought that way if it "moves" or is deeper you are safe....

Wow... This sounds like a new Mystery... The case of the Missing Fin and moving sandbar....

Not to mention that the Whiskey wasn't even there - Mat moved it.

Great story with lots of laughs :) I am so glad you are okay (clearly you were inflated while being rolled around and losing the fins). What about walking backward with the fins as soon as you touch the water? You'd be able to back kick over the gulley then walk again on the sandbar.... Just a thought that way if it "moves" or is deeper you are safe....

Thanks for the suggestion T, that's more difficult in my opinion and especially at this particular site. It's a matter of keeping your balance and not seeing the waves coming would further complicate that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom