2012 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I partially subscribe to the Maffatone running method, where the theory is that by going slow you build up your core and end up going faster. I don't have up and down. I fore foot strike, keep the knees bent, tuck the hips under me, and straighten the back from the stomach, not the shoulders. Relax. Keep light on the feet. Small steps... evaluate my form every couple minutes and make minute adjustments as needed. Toward the end, my back started hurting, and I realized I was too tall, and wasn't bending my knees.. bend the knees, the hips tuck under, and the pain went away. Within a couple minutes I forgot about it and continued to enjoy the run.
I encourage you to read the book, Born to Run by Christopher McDougall..

Christopher McDougall: Are we born to run? | Video on TED.com

Thanks, Guys. It's just very frustrating.

I'm not obsessed with the number - if I was toning or my clothes fit better or any of the other things that show improvement I'd be fine no matter what the scale said. Clothes fit the same. I know it's not muscle mass etc. It's just weight. Where it came from and why it won't stay gone I have no idea. Makes me nuts.

Oh, and sleep? What's that? I rarely have a real night's sleep -can't remember the last time, actually. But that's my "normal" for the past several years...

Alcina, I know the frustration you speak of. I've been there for months. Just for today, I think I am finally progressing in the right direction, and am grateful. I can do good all week. the scale says I lost, every day it looks good. Then on my weighin day, I suddenly gain it all back... sigh.. But after months and months, while the scale says I haven't lost, my clothes are fitting better. tiny steps. I'll take em!

Oh, and sleep? What's that? I rarely have a real night's sleep -can't remember the last time, actually. But that's my "normal" for the past several years...
This is a significant issue and one that sets back not only weight loss, but all types of fitness goals, intellectual performance, and homeostasis. I hope you can resolve this promptly. It will make a positive difference :)

Best!

Don't use alcohol, it doesn't work well for sleep. (just because you passed out doesn't mean you're sleeping. :laughing: )

Consult your doctor if this has been a long-term affliction.

Sleep is an on-going issue. I haven't consistently slept well in years, don't see that changing.

Doctors etc have been next to useless.

It's just my normal and I'll survive, I'm sure.

@Jen - I'd be so very happy if my clothes started being looser. My goal shorts do fit better than they did in February, but I still gots a muffin top :) Maybe one day...just keep on keeping on, it's all I can do really. The month isn't over. I may yet reach my March goal or come close...

Beach walks in the morning really help recharge my batteries, but it often doesn't last all day. I'm talking with my friend who does yoga classes so may start doing those again and the thought of restarting my personal training sessions at the gym has flitted across my brain lately. I'm not quite to the point of willing to commit to either of those things just yet, but just being at a point of being able to consider them again is a huge step in the right direction. Ahh, Big D, you suck in so many ways!!
MAR12_136kja.jpg

Water retention?

Need to poop?

It all adds up. Don't be so hard on yourself. :D

or the few extra lbs that show up around that time of the month. Like others said it's the little gains - keep at it and you will see a difference :).

Took a few days off when diving so much, these long kicks are a bit hard on my chronically inflamed Achilles tendon. (Which seems to slowly be getting a bit better). But don't want to add more stress with jogging.

Excited to hit the pavement again tonight for another 3-4 km.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Did 45 minutes of back/bi free weights

and a 3km run

Not the most ambitious workout but felt good.

took a day off
then did about a 5km walk yesterday
and today a 1.5 hour walk in the morning, 1 hour freeweight leg work out in the gym and a 3km run later in the evening

Really want to increase fitness past my baseline - will try to stretch the runs to 4km this week.

Have committed to a healthier eating plan.

Was planning on working out this morning, but my body is really tired. Long day yesterday on the boat, then the dives were challenging in the current. Also, I need to finish a paint job, which means I am on my feet. Will take the pups to the park though so they can get some exercise, and I will walk the mile and a half course.

Really want to increase fitness past my baseline - will try to stretch the runs to 4km this week.

Have committed to a healthier eating plan.
If you are not dealing with any orthopedic issues, your fitness baseline will benefit a lot more from completing the 3K run in less time rather than increasing the distance. You can increase distance after you shave off a few minutes of your 3k run. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom