2010 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well... I can understand occasionally misspelling and opponents name....

but Mississippi State has no one to blame but themselves for last years FUBAR....

I mean...

109205.jpg

so.... Alabama has sent out it's season tickets to ticket holders... like they do every year.

apparently they forgot to have them proof-read or run through spell check. :rofl3:

missticket1.jpg

The bad part of it is that most 'Bama fans won't catch the mistake! (I'm just sayin' :idk:)

Which makes your prediction of UGA over Bama all the more perplexing. Now worries, we like smack talk here....:)

Well I had to pick someone from the EAST to compete in the SEC championship since two WEST teams can not play each other.

You just can't make this stuff up. :rofl3:

Bessemer mayoral candidate Dorothy Davidson claims Nick Saban endorsement, passing out fliers with altered photo | al.com

Bessemer mayoral candidate Dorothy Davidson claims Nick Saban endorsement, passing out fliers with altered photo

For a political hopeful in Alabama, it could be the ultimate endorsement -- a show of support from University of Alabama football coach Nick Saban.

Bessemer Councilwoman Dorothy Davidson, who is running for mayor of the city, claims she secured Saban's endorsement of her campaign three weeks ago. Davidson printed it on a color campaign flier that shows her and the coach smiling side by side on a golf course.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-691295908-1282147114.jpg

But University of Alabama athletics officials on Tuesday said there is no such endorsement. And the photo of Davidson and Saban together is not real, but digitally altered from another photo.

"Coach Saban has not been contacted for a political endorsement of any kind," Associate Athletics Director Jeff Purinton wrote in an e-mail response to questions from The Birmingham News.

Davidson, when contacted about the campaign ad and photo on Tuesday afternoon, at first said the image of her and Saban together was real and taken about three weeks ago. However, when presented later with a 2007 photo of Saban and his wife that appears to be the base photo onto which Davidson's image was added, the candidate acknowledged that her image was digitally added to the 2007 photo.

"They said we could do it this way," Davidson said.

Davidson's part of the picture is what was taken three weeks ago, she said Tuesday night.

While the photo is fake, the support of Saban is real, Davidson and her campaign manager, Kevin Morris, maintain.

"My dad, Larry Morris, and coach Saban are friends," Morris said Tuesday. "We were on the golf course one day, and I asked him myself if this would be OK."

Morris said Saban agreed. Morris said he would not have created the campaign flier, which has the upcoming football schedules for the University of Alabama, Auburn University and the University of Alabama at Birmingham on the back side, if Saban's endorsement was not legitimate.

Efforts to reach Saban for comment were unsuccessful, but university officials contend no endorsement was given.

Davidson said she does not know how many of the fliers were printed, but her campaign workers have been handing them out. She is one of six candidates vying to be Bessemer's mayor. The election is Tuesday.

Also it's made national news, including Yahoo news and USA Today.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...ped-Nick-Saban-does-not-supp?urn=ncaaf-263306

No, poorly Photoshopped Nick Saban does not support this message

By Matt Hinton

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-216400880-1282147130.jpg

It's already a well-established rail of contemporary Alabama politics that a candidate cannot win if he/she somehow appears to oppose Nick Saban, whose icon status in the Yellowhammer State after just three years as Crimson Tide head coach vastly exceeds that of mere politicians. The logical corollary, that appearing to have Saban in your corner will guarantee victory, has proven more elusive: Among the many things the almighty coach doesn't have time for, it seems, is the local electoral scene.

According to the Birmingham News, however, Saban's lack of interest in (or basic awareness of) Dorothy Davidson's campaign for mayor of Bessemer, Ala., wasn't about to deter the enterprising councilwoman. If Davidson couldn't bring the mountain to her, she'd Photoshop herself with the mountain:

Bessemer Councilwoman Dorothy Davidson, who is running for mayor of the city, claims she secured Saban's endorsement of her campaign three weeks ago. Davidson printed it on a color campaign flier that shows her and the coach smiling side by side on a golf course.

But University of Alabama athletics officials on Tuesday said there is no such endorsement. And the photo of Davidson and Saban together is not real, but digitally altered from another photo.

"Coach Saban has not been contacted for a political endorsement of any kind," Associate Athletics Director Jeff Purinton wrote in an e-mail response to questions from The Birmingham News.
[...]
Davidson said she does not know how many of the fliers were printed, but her campaign workers have been handing them out. ...

When initially confronted with the forgery by the newspaper, Davidson insisted the photo was real, until also shown the original, at which point she conceded the game was up. Her campaign manager, Kevin Morris, was more persistent, claiming Saban (allegedly a friend of Morris' father) personally authorized the fliers: "We were on the golf course one day, and I asked him myself if this would be OK." Otherwise, Morris said, they never would have been printed without Saban's genuine support. And really, what savvy, prominent public figure wouldn't sign off on allowing his name and image to be incorporated into a blatant forgery against the voting public?

Saban wasn't available for comment. Not that there's a whole lot to say. Bessemer will hold its mayoral election next Tuesday. Who knows? Maybe even the association with a fake Nick Saban will put Ms. Davidson over the top.

I'll weigh in on this thread.

Logic dictates an Alabama-Florida matchup in the SEC Championship again. But not so fast....

Ignore Vandy and UK, they have no chance.

Miss State is nearly the same situation, but they can play spoiler along the way, whereas UK and VU really can't.

USCe has as much talent as Spurrier has ever had there and they can make some noise. Of course he has a QB controversy on his hands. Anything new? He always seems to have promise on offense and question marks on defense. It has not worked out that way yet, with anemic offenses and strong defenses. They could make some noise this year. An up year for USCe. 8-4 or better.

Georgia just does not seem to scare anyone for the top of the East. Lots of talent that just does not seem to play to potential. Likely another 8-4 or 9-3 year for the Dawgs. Boring!!

Tennessee will be just awful. QB issues, lack of depth on defense and virtually all over the field. Very thin on both sides of the line of scrimmage, particularly on defense. I can see 5-7 from the Vols. Little upside for them.

LSU has Les Miles, need I say more? LSU almost has the talent to win it all, but quotable Lester will throw away at least one game. Plus, of the 12 SEC schools LSU quarterback situation is 20th, yes, 20th. If LSU can figure out a way to win with awful quarterbacking, then look out. Defense will again be stout. I see 9-3 for the Bengal Tigers.

Ole Miss will likely be 7-5 to maybe 8-4. Defense is strong, particularly along the line. Typical of Nutt, they will be hard to score on. Can Masoli stay out of trouble? Can he learn the offense? Or will Nutt shrink it down to a wildcat type formation with a little added? Masoli can be the big surprise. Ole Miss has the D to hang in there, the question is what happens on O.

High flying Arkansas hopes they have found a defense. They could put up huge numbers on offense, but will they give up the same? Another 8-4, maybe 9-3 team. Could sneak up on someone. They have given Auburn fits in the past several years and will likely do it again.

Auburn is the real question mark. Cam Newton? Will he be as good as the Auburn faithful believe? Does the defense have enough players to keep from getting blown out a couple of times this year too? Schedule is very favorable, maybe the most favorable in the SEC. All tough games, except one are at home. OOC schedule very weak. On schedule alone they win at least 6, and the sky is the limit from there. Like last year, that could be about it, or they could darn near run the table, but I just don't see that happening. The SEC has had a year to study up on Gus's offense, so not as much of a surprise this year. I expect them to win more games than their talent level. Could be the real sleeper of the year in college football, or could be 6-6. They have to break their bad fortune streak with Arkansas and Georgia to be for real this year.

Florida has talent, lots of talent. Lots of key defensive replacements needed. Talented but far less experienced players will have to step up. On offense, of course no Tebow. Meyer will have to mold the offense to Brantley. They can score lots of points, but the SEC has some strong defenses that will give the Gators fits. Plus, short yardage will be their Achilles heel in 2010. No Tebow, no big back, Brantley not likely to run. 2010 will be a downer for the Gators. I see at least two losses in their future.

Alabama has probably as much talent as any team in the country, if not more. That would lead you to say repeat, but not so fast. There are little to no question marks on offense, but Alabama won at least two games on the strength of their defense alone last year. Lots to replace on defense this year. Alabama plays so many defensive players that they likely have the most experienced #2's in the country. Problem is that you can't replace six #1 DB's. Maybe four, but not six. Defensive back issues will show up somewhere along the line. The entire kicking game is new and not putting fear in anyone. Could come back to haunt them. Too many odd distractions for the Tide this summer. Robby Green , Darius and Alfy Hill will weigh on the psyche of the team. Six SEC opponents have a week off before playing Bama. Six. Too many fresh teams will just be too much. Saban will have to work some kind of magic for this team to repeat. I just don't see it. Look for a strong potential loss in weeks four to six.

There is some talent for sure in the SEC this year, but no real runaway team. Overall I see the SEC to be down this year, but only because there is no clear leader and the middle of the pack has moved up in talent.

Florida is very likely the class of the East, but the West is the class of the SEC. Likely four of the top five teams in the SEC are in the West. Losses could be flying around in the West, but not so much in the East. Georgia is likely Florida's biggest test in the East, but no one really expects them to win. South Carolina challenging Florida in the East, not so much.
Alabama could win the West with two losses. I don’t think any team gets through the West with no losses. See, six opponents have an open date before playing Alabama.
I can see Alabama winning the SEC, they are just that good. But I don't see an undefeated Alabama doing that.
And that means, they don’t repeat with the BCS crown again.

Interesting post jdcpa, you know I was looking at ESPN and Foxsports online this weekend and what I saw there was basically the same thing I posted here. The talking heads are predicting that every team in the SEC walks away with at least 2 losses, yes even Alabama. I kinda liked hearing that since I read it after coming to the same conclusion. I do agree with jdcpa that Florida SHOULD win the East, the only real competition they MAY have is Georgia. As for the west, Alabama IS the best team, but they may not be the team playing for the SEC championship. It would not be surprising to see Arkansas or LSU playing that game if they get lucky, and if Alabama has a few down games.

On a different note more along the lines of the crazy Nick Saban story posted above, did anyone hear about the Arkansas sports reporter who got fired for wearing a Gator hat to a Hog press conference? Oh it has the sports media up in arms about the SEC, but lets face it, THIS IS WHY WE LOVE THE SEC!!!!! No other division plays better football more consitantly, with closer games, and has fans as crazy as the SEC!!!!

Agreed, his no show will not be a factor for the opening game but he needs to rejoin bama asap, except for the Arkansas game of course :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom