2010 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL I noticed you did not use anyone from the all Penal league, I mean Florida haha!!!! What are they at since Meyer took over? 34 arrests?

The big problem with adding a "Playoff system" to NCAA football is that the C in NCAA stands for "College". These players have to go to class, pass the classes, etc.

adding another set of playoffs, which would likely be during middle December, just means spending TONS more time in practice and travel for games essentially during the Final Exam season of the quarter/semester.

Yeah some of the schools might like it, because they make MILLIONS of a lot of the NCAA games every weekend, but it would suck to fail a final because you were on travel the entire time for bowl/playoff games.

Sure, I have heard all the arguments before (I have also hear all the counter arguments: all the other divisions of NCAA football have a playoff; other division 1 sports like Baskteball have a playoff...). Personally I'll take the system the way it is, but it is fun to imagine ways to improve it. As I said, I am not in favour of a full playoff (or paying student atheletes).

I guess one of the reasons people argue so fiercely over college football is because we all love it so much.

I wouldn't say I "like the system the way it is". the BCS system isn't the best way of doing it. It seems that it was just created so that you could have 30 bowl games for 60 teams..... creating more Bowls simply because they get more money for it. :shakehead:

I mean there is about 120 NCAA college teams (or a few more). 60 of them went to a bowl game this year. There are so many bowls now it's a joke.

Since paying NCAA players was brought up have you guys heard about a law suit some formal NCAA players who are now retired NBA and NFL players have kicked off saying that NCAA makes millions off its student athletes and should share some of that with the students? Personally I think this is BS since the students ARE getting paid! Their payment is the spotlight they get in order to be picked up high on the pro drafts. That is payment enough.

As for being too many bowls.... well they are talking about adding more and having teams with LOOSING records playing in those bowls. At some point enough is enough!

Hmm what's up with Net-Doc I was hoping for a reaction to my Gators joke :wink:

Hmm what's up with Net-Doc I was hoping for a reaction to my Gators joke :wink:
I missed it. Reading it, I can see why. I have to ask: are you from Georgia? :rofl3: At least UF doesn't try to shelter their athletes at all. They break the law, they pay the consequences.

as for being picked up by the pro draft, only a small percentage are good enough to make it to the Pro's.

Even some that are good enough get hurt.

I wouldn't have a problem with them being paid a "stipend" to help with expenses. say $150/week. or $200/week. (just a number I"m throwing out there... not saying an exact amount).

However, I don't think money should be "negotiated" per player. then you'll have players "being bought". Everyone should be paid exactly the same for that team and division. meaning that all SEC teams should be paid the same and let each conference determine it exactly, under NCAA guidelines

This "Stipend" will help student athletes buy clothing, out of pocket food expenses, and other expenses such as transportation, cell phone, medical (dentist, etc). I mean it's tough on these guys if they aren't allowed to have a job during the season to help pay expenses and some families really don't have the money to send them.

The end result is that they end up selling off their "family tickets" to games on the scalper market to get $$$ each week. I've seen this happen.

The only thing I'd worry about with this is that if you open it up, you open it up for abuse. but some people are going to cheat/abuse regardless.

Well I figured Arkansas would give Bama a handful, but I also expected Bama to pull it out.... :thumb:

but now... it's time for some WAR EAGLE! (just hope they can get together their play execution against South Carolina. (I'm worried)).

The Auburn game was great!. Much better than last weeks game when Auburn got lucky and "didn't loose". This time they "won". :thumb:

For those who missed the Bama - Arkansas game, here's a pic of "Bil Al" leaving Arkansas :D

60303_440870052069_713367069_5009316_4303021_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom