2010 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for Boise State, they and other teams like Utah, TCU, and the like need to look at moving to a new conference or at the very least starting up their own with the top 10-12 teams of automatic BCS conferences.

Or make 'em play off with the winners of the Big East / ACC.

LOL I saw that commercial it is a funny one.

As for a playoff, any type of playoff I am all for that. Come to think of it if the non automatic BCS teams shorten their season by a game and then add a multi conference championship similar to what you suggest, not only would that be more interesting than the BCS format we have now, but it would be a fair way to get some of these teams into the championship conversation.

Two days till football day, so here goes my thoughts for SEC play this week.

Bama vs Arkansas. As much as I like my Hogs this SHOULD be 'Bama's day. Their defense is probably a bit better than the much improved Arkansas defense but it is the offense that will beat Arkansas. The reason is this. Arkansas has what may just be the best quarterback in the nation. However, he is playing a solid quarterback Greg McAlroy. Now, I do not think McAlroy can keep up with Mallet, but he does not have too. All Bama has to do is figure out how to stop the pass. However, Arkansas has to stop two of the best rushers in the NCAA. If they can do that, they still have to worry about a potent passer in McAlroy. That being said Arkansas does have one major wildcard that COULD help provide them with the win. They play in a highly electrified home game.

Florida vs Kentucky. Both teams may be undefeated and Florida may not be impressive so far this year but come on... is their any doubt that FL will win? (Now that I said that watch me eat my words on Saturday!)

South Carolina vs Auburn. I really like the Gamecocks this year and they have an awesome quarterback as well. Furthermore I have not been too impressed with Auburn this year.

GA vs Mississippi State. Bulldogs win..... does it really matter which one? Still GA should win this game if not Richt had better start working on a resume.

LSU vs West Virginia. West Virginia has a football team???? Has anyone heard of the Big East before???

Florida vs Kentucky. Both teams may be undefeated and Florida may not be impressive so far this year but come on... is their any doubt that FL will win? (Now that I said that watch me eat my words on Saturday!)

anything can happen.

Sept 27th, 2008, the year that Florida won National Championship, they figured Ole Miss was going to be an "easy win".

Ole Miss won 31-30.

anything can happen.

I am the last guy in the world who is still opposed to a playoff in college football, but I would like to see the Bowl +1 idea as it should have been done, ie. you play the four major bowls, then take the top two teams standing after that, and have them play each other. So two teams (and only two teams) will play in two bowl games. Between the conference championship games, the regular bowls, and the +1 game, you gotta have a pretty good shot at weeding out all the whiners.

Very true, it is the SEC and any team to include Vandy can steal away a game in this league.

Not a bad idea for the bowl plus one Rhone, but for the most case that would still leave the Boise State teams out, well most of the time anyway since Utah would have been able to play for a championship last year. (I think that was the year they went 13-0)

I am the last guy in the world who is still opposed to a playoff in college football, but I would like to see the Bowl +1 idea as it should have been done, ie. you play the four major bowls, then take the top two teams standing after that, and have them play each other. So two teams (and only two teams) will play in two bowl games. Between the conference championship games, the regular bowls, and the +1 game, you gotta have a pretty good shot at weeding out all the whiners.

The big problem with adding a "Playoff system" to NCAA football is that the C in NCAA stands for "College". These players have to go to class, pass the classes, etc.

adding another set of playoffs, which would likely be during middle December, just means spending TONS more time in practice and travel for games essentially during the Final Exam season of the quarter/semester.

Yeah some of the schools might like it, because they make MILLIONS of a lot of the NCAA games every weekend, but it would suck to fail a final because you were on travel the entire time for bowl/playoff games.

Hmm Auburn a few years ago went undefeated and in my opinion should have been the national champions so there is a good reason for a debate as to having a playoff. As for them being students... well lets face it, half these guys can not read and write anyway they are there to play football not to get an education. If you shortened the regular season by one week, and had the playoff games starting that following week then you have plenty of time to finish out the season by the first week of Jan for the championship game without loosing any bowl games in the process. They would practice no more than they already do and in many cases they would get more time to study as when they loose, they no longer need to practice for the rest of that season.

As for them being students... well lets face it, half these guys can not read and write anyway they are there to play football not to get an education. .

Alabama's quarterback, Greg McElroy, is a Rhodes Scholar candidate.

He is currently in Grad School at Alabama. he graduated with his Bachelors with a 3.85 Grade Point Average

(just one example ..... :popcorn:)

Back
Top Bottom