2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll do our best to help Scott!! What a great group of motivated folks, this should be fun!

We got back at midnight on Saturday from Maui and I was back on the treadmill mid-morning on Sunday. Did my 50 minute (plus cool down) routine and it wasn't too painful at all. Was brave enough to get on the scale and found that I hadn't gained at all!! :D :D

Today (Monday) I have an early meeting, so no treadmill. Plus I can feel it from yesterday, so I want to make sure this first week back "in the swing" is positive and not painful, so taking the day off isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'll be back on the treadmill tomorrow morning at 6am though!

Welcome Scott. One nice aspect of this thread is that it gives you a place to be accountable. Granted, I don't know you and probably won't PM you if I haven't heard from you in a few days, but it is a good place to come and share your progress. So, welcome!

Welcome home DiveMaven. Glad that your workout wasn't too bad yesterday and that you didn't gain any weight while in Maui. That's awesome - especially given the prevalance of shaved ice in Hawaii. YUM!

Monday 01/04/10 - Swimming laps, regrettably had to share a lane with a "waterslapper" - someone whose arms and feet crash into the water with every stroke. I REALLY wanted to suggest that he book some time with a swimming coach as he was really not being a very efficient swimmer, and his huffing and puffing proved it - but alas. Anyhow! Swam one mile and now time for work!

2 mile run on treadmill, ran the whole time. 22 minutes. Weight training afterwards.

I finally got back on the treadmill in November after my doctor gave me six months to fix my cholesterol via non-medication methods (need to make solid progress on dropping 50 lbs. by the summer). Was really good about getting in a half-hour every day for about two weeks - then the holidays rolled around and I started finding excuses again. Despite the lack of exercise, I did manage to drop about 15 lbs. by paying better attention to my eating habits (smaller portions, replacing ice cream with fruit, etc).

At Christmas I recommitted myself to exercising and am now getting on the treadmill for a half-hour in the morning and frequently for another half-hour in the evening - which has resulted in 2 more lbs. With each pound I'm becoming increasingly confident in my ability to get down to my target weight by my next check-up!

2010 Goal

Gain 10 lbs of muscle mass.
Lower my resting heart rate from mid50's to low 50's
Get bodyfat % to ~15

2 mile run on treadmill, ran the whole time. 22 minutes. Weight training afterwards.

Excellent!

I finally got back on the treadmill in November after my doctor gave me six months to fix my cholesterol via non-medication methods (need to make solid progress on dropping 50 lbs. by the summer). Was really good about getting in a half-hour every day for about two weeks - then the holidays rolled around and I started finding excuses again. Despite the lack of exercise, I did manage to drop about 15 lbs. by paying better attention to my eating habits (smaller portions, replacing ice cream with fruit, etc).

At Christmas I recommitted myself to exercising and am now getting on the treadmill for a half-hour in the morning and frequently for another half-hour in the evening - which has resulted in 2 more lbs. With each pound I'm becoming increasingly confident in my ability to get down to my target weight by my next check-up!
Last year I started the Zone Diet as a complement to the CrossFit I was doing and managed to stay on it all year. The primary benefits were that I got off of cholesterol and BP meds... the first in my family to accomplish it. BTW... it's some of the goals/benefits that Dr Sears had when he designed this particular diet.

2010 Goal

Gain 10 lbs of muscle mass.
Lower my resting heart rate from mid50's to low 50's
Get bodyfat % to ~15
Good luck! What is your plan of attack?

I ended 2009 at about the same weight as I started 2009, but went from 10# to 155# on my Overhead Squat, got my front squat from 210# to 265#, and my deadlift from 315# to 380#. Not sure what the muscle mass gain was, but I'm happy with the results, all while decreasing 250m to 5K rowing times.

Warmup:
15 minutes of Cycling with biked mounted on trainer (mountain mode)
3.1 miles, 12.3mph average, Focused on keeping cadence at 100rpm throughout

Workout:

Kettlebell Swings 70lb x 30 reps
Time: 58 seconds

Rowing 250m x 3
1:11 warmup
:43 sprint (tied PR)
1:20 cooldown

Felt good to get anaerobic and even tie a rowing PR after the KB swings!

Penny did a 1K Row, 4:14... just a few seconds off her PR

Good luck! What is your plan of attack?
Hockey once a week
Indoor soccer 2 a week
Dodgeball once a week
volleyball once a week

Gym 4 times a week (weights only. I get enough cardio from the other stuff)

In summer replace the hockey with mountain biking.

Eat lots of protein. :wink:

I pretty much need to duplicate what I did in 2009. Went from 163 to 170 with losing 3 in from my waist.

Today: bike ride 45 mins, yard work 1 hour.

I don't have access to a gym so have to get my exercise where I can.
I have a bike, a beach, a public swimming pool and a yard that needs clearing a couple of times a week.
Diet: I'm in Thailand and everything is stir-fried out here, so am trying to go for the spicy salads, grilled meats and so on. I'm getting lots of fruit and drinking plenty of water.

It's a slow process (getting fit) but I am motivated!

Jan 1 30 min. rowing machine (24 rows/min)
Jan 3 30 min. rowing machine (24 rows/min)
Jan 4 30 min. rowing machine (24 rows/min) + 11/4 hrs of shovelling (Ouch! my back)...
Shooting for 25 pounds less in a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom