2007 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best of all, though Auburn lost, it proved they could play as a contender if they wanted to, like they did against Florida.
Which is the same message everyone got from the Wildcat/Gator game. Kentucky has a LOT of character!
However, the BEST message to come out of this game was that my Gators learned to play the WHOLE game right from the start! They played hard each and every quarter in a hostile environment. Did I mention that this was the 21st consecutive win over Kentucky??? :D
Right now, I'd say the SEC Championship looks like LSU vs. Florida. Which should be a great game.
I think Tim and company would rather LIKE that. :D

Yeah... Kentucky has come a long way this year. Just like University of South Florida.

The officiating was absolutely the worst I've ever seen.

Actually, I've seen worse... much worse.... sad huh?

If the officials in the SEC are not on the take, then they're definitely borderline incompetent.

I think the officials in this game made some pretty bad calls on both sides. I have no clue where they get these guys some of the time. They even blew the replay calls.

The STUPIDIST thing done the entire game though was by Tubberville with that last onside kick. LSU was ready for that after the other attempted onside kicks. It was STUPID of Tubberville to try that. It just put LSU in scoring position and only about 30 yards away from a game winning field goal with over 3 minutes on the clock. THAT IS WHAT LOST THE GAME.

I was expecting the long kick, when I saw the squib kick I said to myself "thank you Tubby". I agree it was stupid and most likely cost Auburn the game but it wasn't the first stupid call I've seen from Tubby this year.

I was expecting the long kick, when I saw the squib kick I said to myself "thank you Tubby". I agree it was stupid and most likely cost Auburn the game but it wasn't the first stupid call I've seen from Tubby this year.

Boy... you can say that again....

South Florida easily beat Auburn based on a stupid decision by Tubberville to let the clock run out and give USF an even playing field in Overtime.

While that did appear to be a stupid decision, have you forgotten how awful Auburn has been on special teams this year. I don't know the exact statistics but it sure seems like we haven't been able to stop the return on long kicks for the kick-off 80 percent of the time and we haven't been able to kick the ball into the end-zone for a touch back. It seems as though over the past several years when we had a player who consistently kicked the ball through the end-zone (oh, how we miss John Vaughn for kickoffs), we failed to train anyone to get down field to cover a return. Now that we need someone with that ability we don't have it. So, if we can't kick the ball through the endzone, and we can't get down the field to stop someone making a return, why would we kick a long ball where the "fastest returner" in football can get it?

While that did appear to be a stupid decision, have you forgotten how awful Auburn has been on special teams this year. I don't know the exact statistics but it sure seems like we haven't been able to stop the return on long kicks for the kick-off 80 percent of the time and we haven't been able to kick the ball into the end-zone for a touch back. It seems as though over the past several years when we had a player who consistently kicked the ball through the end-zone (oh, how we miss John Vaughn for kickoffs), we failed to train anyone to get down field to cover a return. Now that we need someone with that ability we don't have it. So, if we can't kick the ball through the endzone, and we can't get down the field to stop someone making a return, why would we kick a long ball where the "fastest returner" in football can get it?

Because the odds of stopping the deep returner before the 50 yard line are better than getting a recovery on the squib kick near the 50 yard line, especially after he squib kicked all night and LSU was ready for it. Bad decision no matter what the ability of the cover team. Plus the new rule this year of kickoffs from the 30 instead of the 40 yard line made the decision ever more foolish.

What is your problem? I've already responded that, yes, that was a missed call by the refs, and there were plenty of others. I even said that officiating is a part of the game we all have to deal with whether it is good or bad for our team. I even complemented your team's play. I said it was a good game even though my team lost and I never said the only reason LSU won was because of the officiating. But if you are honest and you look at the film, it is evident that LSU was helped by a generous spot that gave them a first down and by failing to call illegal formation on a play that gave LSU a touchdown. Why are you whining and why the vulgarity? Neither are needed or appreciated.

what bothers me about LSU (or LSU fans) is how they treat other teams.

The LSU fans will line up along the road the opposing team enters on and as the opposing teams buses enter the stadium area, they will approach the bus and start rocking it....

it's pretty poor sportmanship on the part of their fans. Yes I know it's not all the fans, but it's obvious the University allows it as they don't get the university police to stop it.

If a group of people did that to a city bus, they would be arrested for it.

LSU Fans even post about it on their websites.
where in the stadium does the AU team bus unload? @ TigerDroppings.com

to me it's just "low class" regardless of which team they do it to.

What a shame! A great team and not-so-great fans.

Well I'm sure that's not true of all their fans.... I don't want to make it seem all their fans are that way just because of a few bad apples.

but like I said, it's obvious the University allows it to openly happen.

Another example of this was a couple weeks ago when Alabama played Ole Miss. The fans started throwing liquour bottles at the Alabama players. The coaches told the players to put on their helmets in case they got hit in the head.

Pretty classless of those particular Ole Miss fans. Even Alabama coach Nick Saban called it classless.

But here's the real classless part.... On the monday following that, Ole Miss' Atheletic Director Pete Boone showed an even less lack of class than their fans did with this statement at a press conference:

“Maybe Nick is like a parent. It’s easy to see faults in the children who live next door,” Boone said. “I was talking to Mal Moore (Alabama AD) this morning. Mal said Alabama fans have done exactly the same thing, talking about throwing bottles and stuff like that. I’m not sure some other coach needs to talk about our fans. I resented that a little bit.”​

(source of quote: djournal.com)

Back
Top Bottom