2 week trip advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since your wife doesn't dive will you be shore diving solo on vacation? I just ask because there are some parts of the world where the dive ops aren't willing (or allowed?) to rent tanks and weights to solo divers - so that should be factored into your destination decision. I don't know what the practice is regarding solo shore divers in Florida, but I am sure that others here on SB will know. If the "no buddy" issue is likely to be a problem then you would be better off looking for a boat diving package.

The Rainbow Reef dive center in Key Largo is frequently mentioned on SB as a good and reasonably priced dive op, see below:
Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL

Check out this trip report from @drrich2. It is from 2013 and he did a lot of diving but he included specific pricing information so it might give you some ideas:
Diving Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center
Good point, thanks. I'll check it out if we go. I did a week dive vacation years ago to Panama. Did daily boat dives, but also a couple of shore dives. Was told I needed a DM with me as solo dives not allowed. I said OK. Then found I was charged $50 for each dive. Now, as a DM (shortly after the trip), I would never deny a DM some pay, especially since some "work" for free on courses. That's another thread. But I wasn't told about that somewhat high fee, so didn't pay. They can come and get me in Canada....
You'd have to think though, how would a shop know you're diving solo if you didn't say so? Would they have to see a buddy with you getting the fills?

As far as renting gear for shore diving, shops will ask for your certification card but that is likely it. They are not going to be checking you for a buddy. If you're boat diving, most Florida operators that allow solo diving are going to require you to have a solo certification. Even with the solo certification, some shops will not let you dive by yourself. Most of the operators in the southeast, from Jupiter down to the south end of Fort Lauderdale, will allow you to dive solo with the right certification and a redundant bottle of gas. In the Keys, it's hit or miss. Dive shops that have let me dive solo include Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba works, South Florida dive headquarters, Pompano Dive Center, scuba Adventures, Sandy's Sunday, Rainbow Reef, Narcosis and Scubatyme

As far as renting gear for shore diving, shops will ask for your certification card but that is likely it. They are not going to be checking you for a buddy. If you're boat diving, most Florida operators that allow solo diving are going to require you to have a solo certification. Even with the solo certification, some shops will not let you dive by yourself. Most of the operators in the southeast, from Jupiter down to the south end of Fort Lauderdale, will allow you to dive solo with the right certification and a redundant bottle of gas. In the Keys, it's hit or miss. Dive shops that have let me dive solo include Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba works, South Florida dive headquarters, Pompano Dive Center, scuba Adventures, Sandy's Sunday, Rainbow Reef, Narcosis and Scubatyme
Thanks. That's what I figured, but will still check. I'd just be renting tanks, but I guess that's the same as renting everything. We usually "snowbird" on the panhandle or in Biloxi and they never asked about solo when renting tanks to shore dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom