2 hours to do bag drag November 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I should book a hotel to relax. Was not planning on diving the next morning anyway. We are diving with Aldora, I should update the relevant thread.

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I should book a hotel to relax. Was not planning on diving the next morning anyway. We are diving with Aldora, I should update the relevant thread.
Good move, IMO. Traveling is stressful enough without trying to make that tight connection where there are critical variables in play that are beyond your control.

that's exactly why we don't do it.
I've run the numbers many times and by the time you add up transfers (2) 7 ferry rides (2) to the "cheaper" airfare, you can fly right onto the island for just a little more and save basically 2 days of your vacation.

that's exactly why we don't do it.
I've run the numbers many times and by the time you add up transfers (2) 7 ferry rides (2) to the "cheaper" airfare, you can fly right onto the island for just a little more and save basically 2 days of your vacation.
For us it's more than just running the numbers. Flying out of YYZ (Toronto) we only get direct non-stop flights for part of the year (Dec - April). When we come down in late summer, I'd rather fly non-stop into CUN than have a connection through the States and then into CZM. Going thru customs twice is a PITA and I've had gear trashed by your TSA with a polite note that basically says it's not their fault, sorry not sorry & have a nice day.

For us it's more than just running the numbers. Flying out of YYZ (Toronto) we only get direct non-stop flights for part of the year (Dec - April). When we come down in late summer, I'd rather fly non-stop into CUN than have a connection through the States and then into CZM. Going thru customs twice is a PITA and I've had gear trashed by your TSA with a polite note that basically says it's not their fault, sorry not sorry & have a nice day.
Wouldn't you go through US Customs in the Toronto airport on the way down? Flying back into Austin from Toronto I really appreciated that; getting processed by Immigration and Customs in Austin is a real PITA.

That's no help coming back, though, is it?

Wouldn't you go through US Customs in the Toronto airport on the way down?
Why would that be required flying from Canada nonstop to Mexico?

Don - it wouldn't when we have available non-stop flights. I was speaking to the roughly 7+ months when those flights aren't available.

Yes, we can pre-clear US customs in Toronto (on the way out). It can take 3x as long (or longer) to do that vs. just going thru security for a non-stop flight. It's a hassle, a time sink and an irritant. We find it more pleasurable flying non-stop into CUN and doing the private shuttle to PDC while enjoying a few cervezas along the way. Plus, the time works out to around the same, it often costs less (Including xfers and the ferry) and I don't have to worry about missing a connection and coming up with a plan B on short notice (I'm the vacation planner in the family and the one who sweats all the details).

I don't recall if it was we went connected thru DFW or IAH, but a TSA agent ruined a BCD bladder doing an inspection which cost me hundreds to replace. That was kinda the last straw for me.

Ok it's already Nov2 but no way in hell would they have made the ferry.

Our experience last year was:

a) flight was 90 mins late taking off
b) 3 bags took 35, 50 and 75 minutes to show up (got really worried about the last one @ 75mins)
c) got sent to screening! (oh joy)
d)then missed the ferry by 5 minutes.
e)dragged 3 65lb bags to the casa which wasn't super far nor super close but the keycode worked so there was that. Did see a few other people in the complex have issues. The batteries die on those locks.

Thankfully was staying for 2weeks as we were shattered for a good 2 days. Air Canada is ALWAYS late. All our flights this year have been late, ALL of them.
Hell they cancelled our return flights this Jan4. We found out when I looked on the AC app 2 weeks ago. Never got an email.
It looks like no more YYZ-CZM direct flights in '24 so we are doing the bag drag home. Saving grace our biz award space was honored so we are coming home from CUN in a 777 lie flat seat.

I do keep checking to make sure they don't mess with the flight in. They moved that one up 2 days but all I saw in the email months ago was a 2hr later departure. Didn't see/notice the Tuesday instead of Thursday flight but was able to add the days to the casa stay.

It looks like no more YYZ-CZM direct flights in '24 so we are doing the bag drag home.
There are still direct Air Canada flights YYZ<>CZM in '24 but, as has been the case for several years now, it's seasonal (till the end of April). Once those flights stop, we can usually book a connecting flight thru YUL (Montreal). Due to my status with Air Canada, I don't really look to see if there are any other options but, given the consolidation in the market and West Jet's retreat from Ontario, I doubt there are other (better) options.

Back
Top Bottom